• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lance the newbie

Lancealot601

Hi, im lance and im very new into rock crawling. Im currently building a '82 jeep cj7. I have a gen 3 ls motor with a 4l60e and a dana 300. Im running a chevy dana 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the rear and 42" tires. I have a friend thats always refers me to look at these threads for ideas. I love to over think everything so this build has taking longer than i have hopped for.
I do have a question, how do i get my drive shaft to go around my transmission. The dana 300 front output is really close to the transmission oil pan.

Lancealot601

Hi, im lance and im very new into rock crawling. Im currently building a '82 jeep cj7. I have a gen 3 ls motor with a 4l60e and a dana 300. Im running a chevy dana 60 in the front and a 14 bolt in the rear and 42" tires. I have a friend thats always refers me to look at these threads for ideas. I love to over think everything so this build has taking longer than i have hopped for.
I do have a question, how do i get my drive shaft to go around my transmission. The dana 300 front output is really close to the transmission oil pan.
30E7EB27-D9EA-4EA7-A86D-CE84A720545E.jpeg

Lancealot601

build a really small diameter driveshaft (people use front axle shafts for the upper section sometimes), or run a 2 piece front driveshaft to go around the pan.
Yeah i was told smaller driver shaft but didnt know if they would twist easier. Or bustedknuckleoffroad sales a carrier bearing but they are expensive so i wasnt sure if it was worth it.

TBItoy

Yeah i was told smaller driver shaft but didnt know if they would twist easier. Or bustedknuckleoffroad sales a carrier bearing but they are expensive so i wasnt sure if it was worth it.

A driveshaft sees a lot less torque than an axle shaft (whatever you gear ratio is times less).

My boss built a front driveshaft from a dana 44 axle shaft for his rig on rockwells and 49s, worked fine.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the community @Lancealot601
Hope to see how your build goes!

Lil ugly

The carrier bearing route may have some initial cost to it but there can be advantages to it as well. For those of us that run a doubler in our drivetrain, the length of the front driveshaft can get pretty long and really interfere with skid plates and such at full droop. Adding in the carrier bearing allows you to move things forward and shorten the front shaft which increases its strength and allows you to avoid some conflicts. Looking at your axle placement I would think you would end up wanting to use an intermediate shaft to avoid having a five foot long front driveshaft. Just my opinion of course.

Lancealot601

The carrier bearing route may have some initial cost to it but there can be advantages to it as well. For those of us that run a doubler in our drivetrain, the length of the front driveshaft can get pretty long and really interfere with skid plates and such at full droop. Adding in the carrier bearing allows you to move things forward and shorten the front shaft which increases its strength and allows you to avoid some conflicts. Looking at your axle placement I would think you would end up wanting to use an intermediate shaft to avoid having a five foot long front driveshaft. Just my opinion of course.
Thanks. This is my first build ever so im trying to keep it cheap. But at the same time i dont wont to do it wrong or have to keep rebuying stuff. Thanks for yalls in puts.

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.

Latest posts