• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leaf spring bushings SUCK!

RockItXJ

I probably, likely, almost certainly, didn't do it
I think I'm going to be in agreement with most wheelers and those from the north, that leaf spring bushings must be some sort of level in hell to remove from aged springs and suspensions.

Now, I don't have a press, but I'm cleaning up and rebuilding these leafs and pulling the old bushings out of them was one of the most annoying things I've ever had to do.

My make do method consisted of using an old holesaw to cut out the rubber, in the case of the main frame side bushing I used a beefy screw driver to pull the remaining rubber out. Then after messing about for 2-3 hours using a screw driver and a hammer to beat the seized sleeves into submission, I remembered I had an air chisel and made relatively quick work out of the remainders.

Just figured I'd share. Any of y'all have a better method? Probably a press might be on my next tool to buy list...

20ed462dd6e489ecf6957bb1ed238b96.jpg
b84a56b844fed9507c0aebfe1fe2c6ee.jpg
e71d3443faa58783ecb130171f5c3b6f.jpg

P.s. My method makes a huge mess. It has a habit of creating what is effectively roofing tar...

39626535d1b035983d3a215b35d807f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

I've burned them out then just cut the outer with a sawzall

Re:

I have drilled a bunch of holes in the bushing rubber with the biggest bit that would fit between the inner and outer sleeve, then air chiseled the outer sleeve.

Re: Re: Leaf spring bushings SUCK!

pplblazerdude said:
Torch and they come out in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm usually the first to go straight to fire lol

That being said seems like the go to is to cut that sleeve out. Looks like we got it down to a science. As for easiest, well I'm thinking it's coming down to your own personal skill set.

Also, gasoline works great on getting this type of rubber off things when it's melted, just like roofing tar. In case anyone was wondering.

I don't remember what the deal was but last time I dealt with them I had a plasma involved. Not sure if I was cutting the bolts off or what but the bushings definitely caught fire. Was pretty easy to get them out with a hammer after that.

I use a torch & burn em out.... then sawzall one cut. Punch em out. Done ! But the smell of a burning leaf spring bushing is enough to kill ya laughing1 laughing1

Bronco72 said:
Spunt all his money on stickys then us poor kentucky people are still on still on old time coils and DOT tires. Lol

I sold her Saturday now I just come on here now to start **** with my favorite bastards/ friends . Damn your show rig is worth more money than a show dog could jump over!

86chevota said:
I sold her Saturday now I just come on here now to start **** with my favorite bastards/ friends . Damn your show rig is worth more money than a show dog could jump over!

Better be a short legged dog with a broke back. Lol

Re: Re: Leaf spring bushings SUCK!

Bronco72 said:
Whats a leaf spring?? :stir: :dunno: :rolf: :rolf: :driving:
It's what us poor folks are using to keep our axles attached to our rigs lol

Latest posts