• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lightweight building panels

TNGreg

I have a flat bed trailer and was thinking about building a 8.5'x10 or 12' enclosed area on the front. Looking for ideas on material to use. Needs to be lightweight as possible and weatherproof. Planning on a couple windows and a door in it. Thought about building frame out of thin wall square tubing and screwing .040 aluminum sheet on outside, Then insulating and some sort of light paneling on interior walls. But I came across these panels on this video, just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of project. I'm not interested in bolting a camper on the front of the trailer. Thanks for any input.

I have heard people using pre-insulated alum panels screwed to alum tubing.

Here's one similar to your thinking:

I was curious about using 2" blue board Styrofoam and covering it with fiberglass and resin. You could make a fairly lightweight square tube frame and end up with a sturdy yet light enclosure.

I have a flat bed trailer and was thinking about building a 8.5'x10 or 12' enclosed area on the front. Looking for ideas on material to use. Needs to be lightweight as possible and weatherproof. Planning on a couple windows and a door in it. Thought about building frame out of thin wall square tubing and screwing .040 aluminum sheet on outside, Then insulating and some sort of light paneling on interior walls. But I came across these panels on this video, just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of project. I'm not interested in bolting a camper on the front of the trailer. Thanks for any input.

Are you wanting to leave the enclosure on the trailer at all times or take the enclosure on/off as needed?

I was planning on making one with 1x3 14ga tubing. Was going to do like you said and sheet the outside with aluminum, put 3" foam insulation in the walls and use 1/4" wood paneling on the inside. Seemed the cheapest, most efficient way to go. Those preformed panels are bank.....

Latest posts