• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls engine swap with standard trans ?????

417chevy

So I've been looking into this a little I have a 4 speed manual trans has anyone on here done this or no someone who has a $900 adapter kit seems a little extreme for me any ideas ??

What is this adapter kit you are referring to?

And what trans are you planning on running.

"LS" motors came with nv4500(2500hd 6.0 5spd), nv3500(3550?) (1500 4.8 5spd) and t56 (any v8 car with a 6speed)transmissions from the factory, and the older 4 speeds will bolt up. You just need the correct size flywheel and clutch disc for the trans input shaft spline...

417chevy said:
An old granny four speed Everything that I've read said I had to buy a kit with a different bellhousing

I just skimmed through all the threads that pop up on the first page of a google search, and none mention a different bell housing ???

Just a special flywheel, or spacer, and a few different clutch setups according to if you run internal or external slave

I am using the same bell housing that was bolted to my old SBC and now bolts to the LS block, just has one less bolt hole on the LS block that lines up with the bell housing. I did spend the money on the advanced adapters clutch and flywheel kit just for simplicity even though it's just a LUK brand clutch and a probably a repacked flywheel for a 6.0 out of truck that AA just buys and marks up and sells in the kit.

You can do it cheaper just need to source the flywheel and clutch from the 2500 setup. Mines not running yet so I don't know if it the clutch actually works yet. Reusing the external slave mount and a FJ60 slave cylinder I had previously.

It seems like everything I've read so far people say they have it set up a way but haven't ran it yet
All I know is I have to make up .4" with out compromising starter issues ???? So confusing

417chevy said:
It seems like everything I've read so far people say they have it set up a way but haven't ran it yet
All I know is I have to make up .4" with out compromising starter issues ???? So confusing

You need a flywheel from an 02 and newer 6.0. That's what I used and the buggy has been going for 3 yrs now

I've been running a SM465 behind my 08 6.0L for 3 years now with no problems. Did all the research and you don't need one of those McCloud or AA conversion flywheels.. I run an 02' 6.0 flywheel which if I remember correctly is roughly .375" thicker than a Gen 1 5.7 flywheel to make up for the .4" crank flange difference, an LS2 pilot bearing, and a 12" LUK clutch and PP. But I do run a Lakewood bell housing that has an adjustable pivot ball, I adjusted my pivot ball out some to get the correct alignment for my clutch fork.

Jduck said:
You need a flywheel from an 02 and newer 6.0. That's what I used and the buggy has been going for 3 yrs now
What are you using for clutch and pilot bearing anything special?

417chevy said:
What are you using for clutch and pilot bearing anything special?

Nothing special, just a LUK clutch and matching pilot bearing. Like said above an adjustable pivot ball is nice, I had to use a thicker throwout bearing to get the "throw" correct.

chevy 4 speed? all you need is a 80's model manual bellhousing and c30 disc and pressure plate with a corvette ls1 flywheel aa or novack sells the special pilot for like $9