• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS thermostat talk

redneckengineered said:
When the motor gets hot I grab two wires out from under the dash and twist them together with a wire nut.

Come on. We all know that is bullshit...... molaugh

redneckengineered said:
I was just having this conversation with a buddy who is thinking about switching last weekend. Absolutely. Do it. Best $20 upgrade ever.

This is my buggy hot idle vs Jessica's buggy hot idle. I have a 160 stat for her, I just haven't thrown it in yet.

Just ordered one. Should be here next week.

Andrew, what rpm stall you got for that big block?

interesting. not sure what stat is in mine, but hot idle is definitely around 180.

and we know you don't use a wirenut, it takes too long to undo :p

Just put in a 160° stat myself. Only ran it in the garage so far but it only gets up to 174° now as opposed to 195° before. My main issue for changing was due to the temp creeping up at idle after running around on the trails. Hoping this does the trick.

What fan/ fans are you running and what size/ cores radiator do you have? I've always fought temp battles in mine, but that is do to it's bore size and compression.

ADMINISTRATOR

2 12" ebay fans on a 31x19 2 row rad. I am almost considering going with an electric water pump. Mine would get hot at idle but would drop real quick once you'd bump the rpm's up to about 1200. I think an electric pump would maintain a flow rate closer to that of a revved up engine at which point, I'd probably be fine. I'll see next weekend how this new stat works on the trails first.

i recently switched to a 160* stat as well. Last trip out it would run around 190* when beating on it. At idle it would get to around 175*. I have a griffin 26x15.5x3 (overall dims) with 1.25" tubes. Its much smaller than my last radiator with a taurus fan. Due to the smaller/shorter size, i now have to run a single 14" fan and shroud from griffin for this smaller radiator. I did have to change how i routed the steam ports and heater core lines. Last one i had the steam port back to the top of the water pump and the heater core ports were blocked. This time i ran the steam ports back to the the port on the radiator and looped the heater core lines. Hopefully i dont have any trapped air anywhere.

My radiator is 24W x 19H x 3" dual pass with a fully shrouded spal HD 16" fan. Its a built 6.2 that is north of 550. Over the whole week out at KOH the highest I saw was 214. Its typical in the mid 190s.

Just put a 160* thermostat in mine. I've only ran it in the shop, ready to see how it does this weekend on the trail.