• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LTBs vs snow?

I figure I'll sipe mine right off the bat.... any comments? I agree the bfg, mtrs, toyo, truxus, etc do awsome in the snow versus the aggressive bias tires. But I'm sick of worryin about sidewalls w/ radials. Already cut enough. Plus LTBs are F'in cheap and fit my budget.

I figure I'll sipe mine right off the bat.... any comments? I agree the bfg, mtrs, toyo, truxus, etc do awsome in the snow versus the aggressive bias tires. But I'm sick of worryin about sidewalls w/ radials. Already cut enough. Plus LTBs are F'in cheap and fit my budget.

OK big disclaimer* this is only my old school opinion.....
I can see where it would help on ice, it would let the tires run cooler all the time, helping them wear slower, let them flex somewhat better, however and just my however, I believe it will make a bias chunk more on rough rock, which is already a problem of a bias vrs a radial....
We all know well that a bias has a ton better sidewall for rough crap...

Sam look under special service tsl....:awesomework:

that would be the second link i posted acctually, they dont have a picture of them. They look a little diffrent then any of the other TSL/LTB's acctually

but still suck in the snow:mad:

you changed your post lol

I did to!! :haha:
Yea the 34 9.50 have been around forever, I have heard they were coming out with a taller narrow tire for the wide a$$ guys, but have not seen much about it...:stirpot:
Narrow tire and deep snow is not ever really going to be the good ticket, floatation is what you need, and wider is better there...

OK big disclaimer* this is only my old school opinion.....
I can see where it would help on ice, it would let the tires run cooler all the time, helping them wear slower, let them flex somewhat better, however and just my however, I believe it will make a bias chunk more on rough rock, which is already a problem of a bias vrs a radial....
We all know well that a bias has a ton better sidewall for rough crap...

Interesting concept... I have zero experience w/ bias tires, but what you said makes sense. :corn:

Coming in from the Land Rover camp, we run narrow tires all the time.

He should be airing them down. A tire footprint can get bigger in length as well as width. Unless he bought tires that has a sidewall that is too stiff for the weight of the rig (easy to do with a zuki) a tall skinny tire aired should work just as good as a wide tire on snow (Obviously a tall and wide tire would work even better -- it's about the size of the contact patch). Since it is a bias-ply tire that probably won't flex under a lightweight zuki or Jeep they (LTBs) probably will suck. If someone insists on running a firm sidewall then going wider really is the only option.

In addition to sidewall flex, tread flex is also important for keeping good contact with the ground when crawling over rocks in the summer and is also dependant on the weight of the vehicle.

To get more stability off-camber, rims with different backspacing can be used to get a wider track.

A narrower tire offers less rolling resistance on the road, making it easier to turn and offering better gas mileage.

Last edited:
TSL's don't seamto "bloat" out that well. at lest in my opinion.
I was in the snow with 36 x 12.5 last weekend at 6psi (all i can do without beadlocks).. and i still could not float nearly as well as the guy with MTR's or the guy with boggers. The MTR's were 35x 12.5's. They seam to "bloat" very well.

I'm gonna run the 34s on a Grand Cherokee, so I think I'll have a much better weight ratio vs. a regular jeep or zuki. The thing has always done great in the snow. I will infact be puttin on 5/8 or 7/8 spacers to push 'em out a bit. I've got 8inch rims and the offset was perfect for 32x11.5s.