• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

manual reverse valve body th400

Gittinit

I installed a tci fmrvb into my th400 and now have no forward gears. The trans was bought used and was supposed to be a good working unit though it did sit a few years before I got it.

Some searching has mostly only got me info on drag racing stuff and I'm looking for real world experience in the 4wd world.

Have u installed your own fmrvb? Did u have any issues? How do ya like it? Any idea what I might have done wrong?

I'll be pulling the pan Monday on a buddys lift to determine whether or not to pull the trans.

I helped a buddy do the VB in my th400 it's not a reverse vb but it is fully manual with engine braking. I like it. There is no way I would have tried it on my own. Did the input shaft turn freely when you were done? Cause it was kind of tough to align all the clutches up on reassembly.

With out know 100% if the trans was working in the first place its going to b hard to determine a problem first you need to check if you even have line pressure and record it second are you using a used cooler is it plugged did you get the suction tube installed correctly with cracking it and so on. 400 have a week case and there are upgrades out there to fix this but who knows what all has been done to your actual trans without opening it up. but def sounds like you dont have any pressure building.

as stated above it could be a number of things. or it could be as simple as a check ball in the wrong place or the nail that connects the shifter to the valve body is not connected.

Buy just replacing the VB on the 400 no checkballs are reused.

That nail you speak of drops in from the inside of the case. I it has fallen out someone put it in after the pump was back on and never bent it to hold in place.

Does the trans manual shifter rachet or detent each shift without the shift cable hooked up? If not then the nail fell out.

When you drop the pan, make sure that the manual valve in the VB got connected to the manual shift lever pin.

I haven't checked for line pressure yet, but it does pull great in reverse lol. The shift part referred to above is what were going to check Monday morning to determine whether or not to pull it. It does select each gear per the shifter lever. I dont recall any nail, and am unsure if what your refering to. I definately dont recall bending anything. Just installed the single check ball, springs and ect per the kit instructions from tci. And the cooler lines and all that are all brand new.
The input was a bit harder to turn after than it was before mrvb install and had me worried all along but was assured by the friend who is helping me that it was OK... now I'll be using his lift to pull it.

Killerb468 if your near north east Arkansas please pm me a rebuild price

Started early this am, stuck in my yard then had to change a tire on the trailer. It was sign of what was to come. Got pan dropped and all looked right so we figured it had to come out.

Things took a turn for the best though as I was able to get the trans fixed today and for only $100 by a friend of a friend. We brought it home and put it back in and all is well. Its now working as it should.

I removed a wrong part and left in one that needed removed. Doh. I have learned a lot. Most importantly who to have help me next time I try to tackle a auto trans project. Lol.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll be making my upcoming event now. ;D

Gittinit said:
Started early this am, stuck in my yard then had to change a tire on the trailer. It was sign of what was to come. Got pan dropped and all looked right so we figured it had to come out.

Things took a turn for the best though as I was able to get the trans fixed today and for only $100 by a friend of a friend. We brought it home and put it back in and all is well. Its now working as it should.

I removed a wrong part and left in one that needed removed. Doh. I have learned a lot. Most importantly who to have help me next time I try to tackle a auto trans project. Lol.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll be making my upcoming event now. ;D

Ok so what parts did you get wrong? I'm curious.

There are 4 total rings on the forward drum one if which needed removed per the instructions. I removed one I shouldn't have and left one on I should have removed.

Simple mistake... lesson learned. I'd feel confident enough try to install my own mrvb if I need to .

Re:

Since his issue is fixed, thought i might hijack. Along the same lines, th400 with rmvb. Trans fully rebuilt with new parts. New Derale cooler. Everything shifts great but sometimes it takes a few minutes when first starting to get it to move in gear. It also seems to stall extremely high and launch backwards when you put it in reverse everytime.

Wondering if i need a check valve on the cooler lines out something else going on?

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Since his issue is fixed, thought i might hijack. Along the same lines, th400 with rmvb. Trans fully rebuilt with new parts. New Derale cooler. Everything shifts great but sometimes it takes a few minutes when first starting to get it to move in gear. It also seems to stall extremely high and launch backwards when you put it in reverse everytime.

Wondering if i need a check valve on the cooler lines out something else going on?

Mine does the same thing. Anyone have an answer for this? Won't do anything for the first 30-40 seconds then works fine. Mine is a th350 tho.

gitinit glad you got it figured out.

to the other guys does it happen every time you start and move your rig or when it has set a few hours? sounds like a drain back issue, what happens if you engage forward gears first until it goes into gear then go to reverse, does it still launch backwards?

Re:

Mine is 2 separate issues. Minsky the starting issue is only when first fire it. It took a few minutes one time too engage any gear when it parked overnight on a hill. I think this might be a drain back issue.

The reverse issue is everytime you shift in reverse. Its like the tc is slipping/stalling then it lurches backwards. Makes easing back difficult. Forward gears didn't have this issue.

Tranny builder says he took out an oring so the trans could handle first to rev shifting better. I've also read that the issue is due to the rmvb.

Mine only does it when it sits over night. I found out that it does it on steep hills also. Have to get back on level ground and let it idle for a while and it works again. Added more fluid to it and that did not help. :dunno: