• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

manual tranny bouncer?

Gittinit

Any bouncer type rigs out there with manual transmission?

What options are there for manual transmissions, with synchronized gears, and fast shifting abilities,all while holding up to 700 or more horsepower, in a boncer style buggy?

It seems the art of driving with all three feet is dead as automakers offer fewer and fewer manual transmission equipped vehicles. So what choices does one have if they wanted to race a manual transmission in an off road rig? Rmvb automajics just aren't the same as a true manual trans.

There are a lot of troubles that come with a manual! Four speeds are short and make your front ds pretty short in most cases, and aren't synchronized in first/low gear. Newer big fives like nv series are long big and heavy! Another big problem is it's a lot tougher on all the rest of the parts behind it! After all that it's not as quick shifting and it pretty much rules out shifting to ohshitbackupquick :****:

If you want t be a slow creepy crawler that will likely never be in a precarious situation then by all means go for it........However, if you ever plan to be a wheeler who hits stuff hard or put yourself in situations where slamming it into reverse to escape rolling is a necessity.Do yourself a favor and go straight to an automatic You will thank yourself later. There is reason you don't really see any "bouncers" with manuals.

i like my 5 speed but my buggy would have no horsepower without it being a 4 cylinder :****: I always though a built 302 or 351 with with a 4wd 5 speed outta a f150 and an atlas or a 90s built chevy motor with 4wd 5 speed an atlas would be really cool setup but it wouldnt be a 700 hp bouncer.

I'm no bouncer but I beat the **** out of it. :****: I'm hooked on clutch dumps an when in a bad situation just hit the clutch usually gravity brings it down. Plus no worry's about over heating or failures!

I'm not sure what you mean by "bouncer." Everyone wants to be a "bouncer" these days. I don't think any of the TC / Tanner-style "bouncers" run manuals, and for good reason. But draggbody beats the **** out of his rig with an SM465 and does pretty well IMO. I would not consider him a TC / Tanner-style "bouncer" since he does not regularly jump his buggy 20' into the air or race though.

An nv 4500 would be the trans to go with IMO. Its tough, low first gear, and synchro.
I think it would be cool to see one in a buggy of that type.
Brian Cole ran one in his buggy, (he bounced and beat on it pretty dang good)
but ended up switching to a th400 before he sold it.

For what its worth i have plans of running a nv4500 behind an LS motor in my buggy , if i ever get done with it

It was always cool to see Bryan Cole and Darryl Jones grabbin gears on Cable Hill back 10 years ago, but they both swapped to autos eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1tonrenegade said:
I'm no bouncer but I beat the **** out of it. :****: I'm hooked on clutch dumps an when in a bad situation just hit the clutch usually gravity brings it down. Plus no worry's about over heating or failures!
this is exactly why I run one also. Plus it takes a damn good driver to run all three pedals. And I've been told by several people that I'm the best they've seen. :****: just sayin molaugh

Would you guys agree that an auto is one of the main reasons for ending your weekend early?
Possibly only topped by front axle issues or tires.

Literally in every buggy I have built the first trip out the auto trans has left me stranded after being built by a "professional" builder and the first thing I have to do after getting it running is pull the trans and have it re-rebuilt. But after that all of my transmissions have been 100% reliable. I'm going to start rebuilding them myself from now on.

patooyee said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "bouncer." Everyone wants to be a "bouncer" these days. I don't think any of the TC / Tanner-style "bouncers" run manuals, and for good reason. But draggbody beats the **** out of his rig with an SM465 and does pretty well IMO. I would not consider him a TC / Tanner-style "bouncer" since he does not regularly jump his buggy 20' into the air or race though.
Bouncer to me is a racer such as those vehicles who are competitive in srrs and arc racing series. Anyone else can bounce but it didn't make em a bouncer till they do it competitively.

I come from a Toyota 4cyl back ground and have been having a hard time adjusting to the automatic even with the mrvb.

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I love beating on a manual but I imagine it would be a real pain flying through the air like they do.
I would think it would be easier. Rarely do even the racers land under power and often when they do something let's g . With a manual u could land with clutch petal mashed. And as far as 3 footing there are tricks around that to. Hand throttles, raised idle, u can even do shifter mounted throttle with detents to change to spefic ROMs.

rocfun said:
For what its worth i have plans of running a nv4500 behind an LS motor in my buggy , if i ever get done with it
thanks ill do some research on the nv 4500. I think this is a truck trans? A short shifter throw would be ideal I would think... Most truck trans have a long throw to the shifter.

Gittinit said:
Anyone else can bounce but it didn't make em a bouncer till they do it competitively.

OK, then the answer to your question is no one is doing it and everyone who tried switched. They're probably all wrong though, give it a whirl! Report back with results. :)

I will say that, as good as draggbody was with his manual, whenever we raced he would lose me on his shifts even though he had a more powerful engine. I don't think any human can shift good enough to keep up with an auto on the shifts given all other things being equal. With my manual valve body I can get from one gear to the next faster than any human can push a clutch pedal much less shift and let off it. I would imagine that would be a disadvantage in any timed race where you needed more than one gear.

Latest posts