• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Marine audio

I bought Polk's new marine unit through a friend in the marine rep business. It's the black box design with the remote faceplate. So far, I've been really impressed with it. I had a JVC marine unit previously, it was a great unit also. I'd say you could find some good lower cost units on ebay and amazon.

Attachments

• polk unit 1.jpg
    polk unit 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 309
Re: Re: Marine audio

I have no head unit, just Pyle 400 watt marine amp with mp3 wire coming off it and use my phone for music. Sounds good as hell and has held up for almost a year now. Have been caught in the rain several times and rain runs down on top of it. No issues thus far.

Just wired up some MTX Thunder wake tower marine speakers last night and added to what I already had in it. (Got a good deal in them). Running everything off that little Pyle amp and it sounds great. System specs as follows:

Pyle 400 watt marine amp

Infinity 6912m marine 6x9's in sealed boxes (300 watt peak, 150 RMS) pretty beast for a 6x9

Pioneer little speakers in the dash, not sure of size, like 3" or 4" in diameter. Were already in there when I got truck.

MTX Thunder wake tower speakers (150 watt peak, 75 RMS)

And I will say this, round speakers make better bass than 6x9 shaped speakers. My 6x9's make too much mid bass but I have them on a separate channel than the small speakers and the wake tower speakers so I can reduce their gain and turn gain up on the other speakers to balance the sound properly.

9ajedymy.jpg

vu2eqyze.jpg

ve4edypu.jpg

a9age4u3.jpg

3ajehy2e.jpg

u6y4ena6.jpg

jy3e9e7e.jpg

eba8uhu8.jpg

I did a 2 channel PYLE setup off amazon. Think it was $50 for the amp and 2 6.5s . MP3 hookup only and it does all i need in a rzr. I was impressed how loud it is.

9B24609C-049C-4330-AB36-0ACDE1969A38-6507-00001297C151947A_zpsc6f28a9d.jpg

74C8620E-05B7-49B7-96C4-FD3FA64C53F2-7143-00000E2C361B35C4_zpsc208c54e.jpg

0E913A0A-4341-4768-BB32-5BFE5861AA34-7143-00000E2B89A0B3ED_zps8d06a9cc.jpg

5D453BED-1F85-4698-B829-32EF6AF2C7C7-7143-00000E2BD6CAA5D4_zps477d7ff6.jpg

Thanks for the input
I'm not a huge audio guy by no means, but I do like a lil bass with all my music .

Does anyone have experience with the compact SUb /amp setup?

But from what I read if I just wana run my MP3 player all I need is 3.5 jack to RCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: Marine audio

hjpcummins said:
Thanks for the input
I'm not a huge audio guy by no means, but I do like a lil bass with all my music .

Does anyone have experience with the compact SUb /amp setup?

But from what I read if I just wana run my MP3 player all I need is 3.5 jack to RCA?

Round speakers make tighter sounding bass. Infinity makes a 6.5" round version of my 6x9's and I wish that's what I had bought. They are top of the line for the dollar. And theory is to have a little more amp power than what your speakers RMS is rated at....but as you can see, that's not the case in mine. Still sounds good nonetheless. I'm running about 500 RMS watts of speakers on a "400" watt amp that probably only puts out 100 watts RMS (I can't remember amp rating). And usually those cheap amps like that don't put out near what they are rated at, especially the tiny ones. Plenty reviews on Youtube of marine audio. Just do a vague search of what you are looking for.
Yes, that's all I have coming off my amp. My amp is a 4 channel amp and I read somewhere it is better to buy splitters in order to use up all 4 available RCA terminals (2 black or white and 2 red). May not make much of a difference but the splitters are very inexpensive on ebay, as is the mp3 to RCA wire also. The splitters take 2 reds and make 1 red, do the same with the black (or white depending on amp's color coding) so your mp3 to RCA wire ultimately is using all the available RCA terminals. I rigged up a little quick grip mount on the tranny tunnel pan in my rig between the shifters to hold my phone in place and it does the job. It's just a cheap dash mount from ebay meant to be used via it's suction cup, but I took some metal banding with holes in it and screwed it to the pan so it cannot come loose.

Here is the video that sold me on the Infinity marine speakers before I purchased mine. Even through a Youtube vid, you can tell they sound badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVJITvad5s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

TacomaJD said:
Here is the video that sold me on the Infinity marine speakers before I purchased mine. Even through a Youtube vid, you can tell they sound badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVJITvad5s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have those same 6.5" Infinity speakers. I agree with JD, they are and sound awesome.

As far as bass, I run 1 rockford P2 10" sub facing down. I made my own ported box out of MDF and I painted the entire box with fiberglass resin inside and out to waterproof it. A down firing sub/box design is the only way to go imo..

tallnate said:
I have those same 6.5" Infinity speakers. I agree with JD, they are and sound awesome.

As far as bass, I run 1 rockford P2 10" sub facing down. I made my own ported box out of MDF and I painted the entire box with fiberglass resin inside and out to waterproof it. A down firing sub/box design is the only way to go imo..

Wish I had room for a sub! :****:

hjpcummins said:
Got a part. # on those 6.5s?

$69.99 for a pair with free shipping. Haven't shopped around on them, but that seems like a helluva deal for good speakers. Of course you have to buy some sort of enclosure with them, but those are usually not too expensive.

Speakers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-612M-6-5-inch-Way-Marine-Speaker-/171194846022?pt=US_Marine_Audio&hash=item27dc020b46#ht_1223wt_1012

Tons of different cheap enclosures for 6.5 speakers on ebay also. Just pick what size best suits where you plan to mount them. My 6x9 boxes are just plain carpeted and usually get wet everytime I pressure wash the truck...still holding firm. Although, the coated black proboxes would be ideal. But they cost a little extra.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=6.5+speaker+enclosure&_frs=1

I run an MB Quart marine amp and a pair of Bazooka wake tower speakers. The amp is a 2ch but they offer a 4ch as well. I'm running the i-simple cable to my iPod so I needed an inline gain control. It's plenty loud and sounds great. I wanted some more bass so I just picked up a powered bazooka tube. I haven't installed the tube yet but it should be a nice complement to the existing system.

*edit* Here are pics of my setup. I installed the amp under my passenger seat w/ a lexan shield over the top and side (see last pic). Turn it on w/ a waterproof switch between the seats. Running the I-simple cable so my phone stays charged and handled music duties.

481096_10200451747915287_1601263959_n.jpg

speakers
734801_10200329104569280_524085420_n.jpg

and the finished amp install w/ the side shield installed just to keep most of the mud/water from hitting the amp directly
547675_10201555231301682_1876348639_n.jpg

Latest posts