• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

NotMatt

:cheer:

At the beginning of this month I purchased, as my friends have affectionately (or not so affectionately) dubbed it... The Cheerleader Jeep, for the total sum of 3500. The specs are, 91 wrangler, 4.0HO, c-clip D35, HP D30, cool swirley wheels with AT tires, and a 1.25" shackle lift. The first order of business was to remove the smittybuilt front bumper, and replace the rotted exhaust with a new flowmaster 2.25" muffler and tailpipe.

Here's what I'm starting with:

P1010238.JPG

Here's the axle, wheel and tire (and other misc. parts) donor: the Turtle, version 1.something in all it's busted glory. In typical XJ fashion, the front way outflexes the rear and ends up doing all the work, and the body is falling apart around the motor, which still runs good with almost 250k miles... but then it's a 4.0, so that's a given:

P1010252.JPG

Stay tuned for more updates. Once I finish the rod bearing replacement and/or motor swap in my new DD, some real progress will be made... starting with the YJ being placed on jackstands, the axles, springs and all other misc. trackbars, swaybars, and other junk getting the torch. Then the real fun begins after that: taking apart the XJ. :)

Last edited:
Very :cool: matt. I think you have a MUCh better base to build off and one thats going to last a heck of alot longer...

Frames are stupid.

YJ's are :rb:

:flipoff: Thought you were going to keep it around for one last run....?

Kelly said:
Frames are stupid.

YJ's are :rb:

:flipoff: Thought you were going to keep it around for one last run....?

Yeah, I think it will make it out once more if I straighten the tie-rod and re "offset" the ball joints to take up all the slack in the ghetto inverted-T steering. When are you taking the ZJ out for the 1st time? I'll plan on making it out then...

Not really... the plan was to have the axles out "today" and get the rear axle in there and test-fitted before the weekend was over, but I didn't accomplish much today.

I had a wedding I was at pretty much all day yesterday (I was a groomsman, and it was a big fancy thing... look for pictures of me in a tux soon..). After the non-alcoholic wedding reception, a bunch of us went out to the bar and... needless to say I wasn't feeling so hot today. :flipoff: The YJ is on jackstands and the wheels are off. Tomorrow I'm diving in full force.

Not a whole lot accomplished, front axle is out though. I like flipping stuff off. :flipoff:

5.jpg

The thinking seat...

6.jpg

XJonathan said:
Sweet, at least its being worked on now :D

:flipoff:

Kelly said:
wanna buy a slightly used 9" :flipoff:

:flipoff:

The part that sucks is that since I live 45 minutes away now, I can't work on it tonight or the rest of the week until this weekend, even though I have free time. Costs too damn much in gas to drive back and forth just to spend a few hours working on the stupid thing.

Ha! No, I don't actually... yet.

However, I started thinking about it and I realized that you're looking for pictures of crossover-style steering on the F100, right? My dad hasn't converted his truck to crossover yet, it's still the factory push-pull stuff, with a DFA. Correct me if I'm wrong though, as I don't have your original PM.

Progress was made today, even though I spent half the day dicking around in Wenatchee looking for a part.

The 1st is a pic of the "test-fit" on Friday night... note that there are no axles in it. :flipoff:

Next is a pic of the pinion angle... I only have the perches tack welded on for now, the angle may need adjusting when I get the SYE in and figure out where the fixed yoke actually ends up on the end of the t-case. Also, you can see my brother in the background working on the skidplate on his MJ. :redneck:

Third pic... axle going in.

4th pic... in and sitting on the ground. No u-bolts yet, and the perches are just tack-welded on, but I now know how high it will sit (it's almost too tall... the springs are flat, but the extra 1" or so from the shackles might be too much, we'll see)

Last edited:

Latest posts