• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

sm_P1014274.JPG

The only issue I had is that I made the rear cross bar too high and the shoulder belts are too long... so I guess I'll just be running the lap belts this weekend because I don't have time to re-do it right now.
Unhook the shoulder belts, and start a wrap around the rear cross bar. Each wrap should shorten the belts around 4 inches. Two or three wraps, and your shoulder belts should be perfect.

Well it's been out twice now and has wheeled awesome. No issues at all with the suspension... except I figured out that my "exhaust" (stock b-pipe into catalytic converter dumping out directly behind t-case) is the reason my front bushing in the anti-wrap bar is melting... heh. I'll fix that soon with a whole new exhaust from header back.

The only other issue has been my weak-ass stock front driveline that I twisted on the rock garden trail last weekend. That will be fixed soon as well (thanks for the spares boxboy!)

Next up, some winch rope instead of wire, some more cage gussets, and some tube from the A-pillar forward to wrap around the cowl forward to the fenders and down to the frame. I totally fubar'ed the cowl on the passenger side on the first few hundred feet of BYS last weekend, and now the dash sits cock-eyed and the windshield doesn't fold up quite right. Some love with a come-a-long should fix that, then I'll add some tube to prevent such happenings in the future. :awesomework:

BTW Tony, I did exactly what you mentioned and it's working good so far, but I still think I will end up re-doing the rear mounts sooner or later so the shoulder harness mounts are at a better angle.

I got some pictures of your rig out and about that I can post up for ya in the next couple of days. Good job on the rig man :awesomework:

I totally fubar'ed the cowl on the passenger side on the first few hundred feet of BYS last weekend, and now the dash sits cock-eyed and the windshield doesn't fold up quite right. Some love with a come-a-long should fix that, then I'll add some tube to prevent such happenings in the future. :awesomework:

Sounds all too familiar :fawkdancesmiley:

It's all down hill from here :haha:

Here's some various wheeling pics, credit due to my girlfriend Jessica for the first, Alexa for the 2nd and chevyxj for the 3rd pic. :cool:

(If you look closely in the first pic, you can see the mayor of hardcoreville himself helping me pull cable... :masturbanana[1]:)

Last edited:
Hello it's summer...where's your shitbox?

Tee-hee... well, his shitbox has wheeled in spirit with me the past two times out... and his shitbox also broke in spirit with me, since it was his old front driveline that I twisted into two pieces sunday. :D

Hello it's summer...where's your shitbox?

:booo: I recommend never start a project and then switch employment, but once my steering is done I will start getting everything bolted back together, get the shocks charged, drivelines and brakes I should be good to go... I hope... but still a couple weeks.

I did some body work today, now the doors fit back on. :redneck: Need to work on something so I don't totally **** the tub, I still want to put the soft top on this winter (we'll see how long that idea lasts...)

Last edited:
I just finished completely re-doing the exhaust today... I hacked what was left of the stock exhaust off... just a poor little crushed b-pipe and a catalytic converter. The rest got lopped off after I did the wheelbase stretch earlier this spring and never got re-done due to the location of the anti-wrap bar and my lazyness. I lopped the entire thing off right at the collector flange to the header, and went 2 1/4" all the way back to the muffler, with a flex piece right after the crossover to the passenger side. I cut the O2 bung out of the old b-pipe and re-used it. I routed the exhaust back and did a 90 degree after the skid plate and placed a Flowmaster Super 40 series I had kicking around sideways where the axle would originally have been placed, then ran another 90 off that and dumped out right next to the rear shackle on the driver's side.

Not too bad for some pieces I had laying around, a few I bought from the parts store, and a bit of work. I would've liked to route it forward first and under the oil plan to keep the crossover out of the way, but I didn't have any tight mandrel U-bends available to me. I still need to pull the whole lot back off and paint it with some high-temp paint, but it works for now and is much more pleasant to drive. :D

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

One more thing I can cross off the "**** to get done" list. Next up is to finish the rocker protection this weekend, re-do the shoulder harness mounts, build a spot for my dog to sit in the back over the gas tank/cargo area, replace a couple leaky seals, and then maybe I can get some real wheeling in sometime soon. :haha: