• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

More LS water pump tech....outlet tube

Craig_c

There's been a lot of LS water pump tech, but I looked and didn't see anything like what I'm wanting to do.

Truck pump, I want to turn and maybe bend the top outlet more to the passenger side of the engine. I will not be doing AN fittings, and want to do it some way that is easily done as a somewhat trail fix....meaning out of town, water pump fails, go to the parts store and be able to install a new one in camp.

Has anyone heated and bent the outlet tube? Can it be spun in the water pump?

Craig_c said:
There's been a lot of LS water pump tech, but I looked and didn't see anything like what I'm wanting to do.

Truck pump, I want to turn and maybe bend the top outlet more to the passenger side of the engine. I will not be doing AN fittings, and want to do it some way that is easily done as a somewhat trail fix....meaning out of town, water pump fails, go to the parts store and be able to install a new one in camp.

Has anyone heated and bent the outlet tube? Can it be spun in the water pump?

I just did this the other day.

It really easy - i didnt heat and bend it though, I cut a wedge out of the tube and welded it back up.

I pulled it out by just clipping some vice grips on the inlet tube (not around it, but "in" it, if that makes sense), and knocked it out with a hammer on the vice grips... Cut the wedge, welded it back up and will put it back in. I will freeze the tube to shrink it a bit, put some JB weld or pipe epoxy on it and tap it back down into the hole...clears everything great now.

redneckengineered said:
I think it's just a press fit.

There is a clear, sometimes clear-green, epoxy on the stem where it presses into the housing. At least there has been on the two that I have done in the past. I think since it's clear and probably mostly burns off when people heat it up they don't realize it was there. If you don't heat it and just keep forcing it until it turns, it will make a distinct cracking noise and the tube will spin relatively freely once it has been cracked.

Same for the heater core fittings.

I didn't heat mine at all. I just slid a piece of tube over it and rotated it towards the passenger side. No leaks after a few rides.

patooyee said:
There is a clear, sometimes clear-green, epoxy on the stem where it presses into the housing. At least there has been on the two that I have done in the past. I think since it's clear and probably mostly burns off when people heat it up they don't realize it was there. If you don't heat it and just keep forcing it until it turns, it will make a distinct cracking noise and the tube will spin relatively freely once it has been cracked.

Same for the heater core fittings.

More than likely Loctite 609 Retaining Compound

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802648195073