• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Motor homes and car seats?

jp fan

We are looking at buying a motor home and seems like there are a few people on here that own them that may can answer the question. I have two kids both front facing car seats and wondering how you strap them in, the ones i have looked at doesn't much forward facing seats. I don't see that the couch would be good or room at the table booths, let me know if you have any thoughts thanks.

Motorhomes are kinda like motorcycles; the manufacturer's seems to think, just don't wreck. They are not crash worthy. I would look at only places that front facing is possible, as side facing, IMO, would be catrostropic for a child. May need to think outside the box, where can *I* mount a tie down for the child seat. You can to it as good or better than any RV manufacturer.

jp fan said:
We are looking at buying a motor home and seems like there are a few people on here that own them that may can answer the question. I have two kids both front facing car seats and wondering how you strap them in, the ones i have looked at doesn't much forward facing seats. I don't see that the couch would be good or room at the table booths, let me know if you have any thoughts thanks.

You had better not get one longer than a car. You'll never get it down that damn holler you live in that they have to pipe sunshine into.

I don't like the thought of putting them on the couch and them being sideways I may have to redo or move the furniture somehow thanks for the replies. Its a shame that this is a mainly for families and they are so outdated on safety
pholmann said:
You had better not get one longer than a car. You'll never get it down that damn holler you live in that they have to pipe sunshine into.
HAHA thats a good one they did haul coal out of here for many years with 18 wheelers before our President killed that out, come back up and I can show you places that the sun never shines LOL

I have thought about this also. The last camper my uncle had had a dining table that had seat belts and it was forward and rear facing. You could let the table down flat for the bed position and still use the seat belts so the car seat could face forward.

As mentioned above build you some points to hold them down. I used some cable in by buggy so that I could use my daughters car sear and still use the new fancy quick clips on the car seat. With that and the Corbeau seats that sucker don't move.

jp fan said:
I don't like the thought of putting them on the couch and them being sideways I may have to redo or move the furniture somehow thanks for the replies. Its a shame that this is a mainly for families and they are so outdated on safety HAHA thats a good one they did haul coal out of here for many years with 18 wheelers before our President killed that out, come back up and I can show you places that the sun never shines LOL

Not before you buy me dinner. :rolf:

Have you ever seen a motorhome wreck? They disintegrate like Nascar cars. There's nothing left but a huge debris field covered in insulation. John's right, they're not meant to be crash-worthy.

One of my best friend's mother fell asleep behind the wheel in a mini van. She woke up right in time to swerve part way back into her lane as the motorhome nailed her head-on. Her body was disintegrated on impact, nothing left. They literally mopped her off the highway, there were not even remains to cremate. Her husband in the passenger seat lived and is back to relative normality after a few years of rehabilitation. The motorhome had a family of 4 in it. 2 young daughters, mother, father. The mother was the only survivor and she's permanently disabled.

Man that sounds like a heck of a wreck, keeping them safe is my #1 goal maybe I need to wait a year or so to be only one car seat thanks for the comments

Sorry, the point of the story was just to back up John's assertion about motor homes not being designed for safety. I didn't mean to scare you out of one.

My dad had one when my brother and I were young. We had a blast in it, lots of good memories. He didn't make us wear our seatbelts in it, that was one of the main reasons we loved riding in it so much. I look back now and think that was strange for a man who wouldn't even start the car until we buckled up. In cars seat belts were 110% non-negotiable for him. Now I wonder if we didn't have to wear them in the motorhome because he knew what John is saying.

Kind of like planes. Why do they have seat belts? At 30,000 ft and 550mph WTF is a lap belt going to do?

This reminds me of this meme:

14e21d3e1b6ec14b22f7d002355446ecc7eb5942db185dc753b1b28b36bc4031.jpg

This topic caused me to do some research because my wife and I are in the market for a motorhome in about 12 months. We will have a 2 year old and a 6 month old by that time so this will be something we have to figure out.

From what little research and reading I did this morning, the only place to put a car seat in a forward or rear facing configuration is at the dining table benches or in the front passenger seat with all air bags off. Several sources confirmed that all seating and restraints other than the driver and front passenger seats do not have to meet any regulations or crash testing criteria so a thorough inspection of how the belts are mounted would be wise.

When it comes down to it, you are going to have to weigh the risk vs reward and enjoyment for your family.

Oh and don't go reading on any car seat nazi forums about this because they think that anyone who even considers putting a kid under the age of 10 in any RV is the devil.

My kids are 3&5 and I think they would have a blast and I have a huge list of places to go, the safety part is very gray and disappointing. I am not giving up on buying one just going to do more research and looking at different floor plans thumb.gif

The reason I asked for how many car seats is one would be easy for me. I would add my own flush mounts in the floor between or just behind the drivers/passenger seats. Much depends on the layout of the motorhome and whether it has slides. A 4 slide vehicle will limit the floor space while in driving mode. If no slides, I would figure out a mount to the driver and passenger seat bases and have the two car seats facing backwards. If a booth in the kitchen, that is a good place to mount, rearward of forward facing. Look as to how the table mounts and how easy to remove and stow. That would give you unlimited space between the seat backs. As to the sofa, would not have them sideways sitting, but look at the construction of the sofa and possible tiedowns. Is is possible to mount them to each end of the sofa and have the kids facing each other.

What you are able to do will depend on the design and floorplan of the motorhome. Go look at several before making any decision. Floorplan is as important in a motorhome as it is in the sticks and bricks.

Thanks John that is some good thoughts and ideas, there is so many floor plans on these class A models. A 4 slide is not in my price range at all but am looking at 2 slides so that should help some with the floor room to mount one there.

They never show them closed up. Make sure you ask them to close the slides for you so you can see what you are working with.

Not trying to derail but I have one I'm gonna sell this spring with 2 slides! Only place I would feel good for the car seats is in the booth. Ours has one chair you could use but most kids travel better close to each other!