• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

motor mounts on tube chassis

Guess19

I am in the process of buildin tube chassis, i was wondering what kind of mounts would take the abuse best ...any pics or advice would b appreciated

are you ask'n rubber bushing vs solid mount? if so, just figure out what you like b/c you'll get every opinion in the world.

crawlin85cj said:
Solid mounts on everything. I wont mount the drivetrain on poly mounts again.

Could you explain why? My Ford is all poly mounted and I have not had any problems, I am not easy on it. I am building another rig and I too am trying to decide on what to go with on it.

AllGoNoShow said:
Could you explain why? My Ford is all poly mounted and I have not had any problems, I am not easy on it. I am building another rig and I too am trying to decide on what to go with on it.

My CJ7 had a stock frame and poly mounts when I first got it. While I felt minimal twist in the drivetrain, they squeaked like crazy! When I had some mount work done, it was solid mounted through and through. Made alot of difference in the noise department.

Just about personal preference.

My thoughts are depending on chassis strength. A chassis that may not be braced as much will probably need rubber bushing. And also make sure you don't mount straight to the belly pan. :****:

AllGoNoShow said:

Bushings fail. It only takes 1 half of a poly bushing to come apart and something can move then possibly break. I had a $5 tranny mount bushing come apart, tranny tail housing twisted and my 2012 KOH was over. Granted some rigs can't tolerate the rigid mount setup due to chassis flex concerns but a properly built and braced chassis should have no issues.

crawlin85cj said:
Bushings fail. It only takes 1 half of a poly bushing to come apart and something can move then possibly break. I had a $5 tranny mount bushing come apart, tranny tail housing twisted and my 2012 KOH was over. Granted some rigs can't tolerate the rigid mount setup due to chassis flex concerns but a properly built and braced chassis should have no issues.

I can see the problems with a $5 tranny mount bushing. I am talking poly bushings like the ones used for leafsprings. Have you ever had those fail? The chassis I am building will be pretty rigid. F-350 frame with cage work front to back tied into the frame. However, I would HATE to break catastrophically where I wheel. A cracked block or transmission could possibly mean taking the truck off the trail in parts, or helicopter lift out...

AllGoNoShow said:
I can see the problems with a $5 tranny mount bushing. I am talking poly bushings like the ones used for leafsprings. Have you ever had those fail? The chassis I am building will be pretty rigid. F-350 frame with cage work front to back tied into the frame. However, I would HATE to break catastrophically where I wheel. A cracked block or transmission could possibly mean taking the truck off the trail in parts, or helicopter lift out...

All the bushings I used are "leaf spring" style, including the one that failed. I don't use those junky factory replacement trans mounts.

AllGoNoShow said:
that sounds like some of my outings when i mash on it **** goes flying :****:

crawlin85cj said:
All the bushings I used are "leaf spring" style, including the one that failed. I don't use those junky factory replacement trans mounts.

Do you run a midplate with your solid mounts? Do you think I would need a midplate as long as the frame/chassis is rigid? You have me leaning towards going solid.

There has to be a dozen theories on this and I don't think a mid plate would hurt a thing but my new WOD buggy does not have a plate. They have been building them solid mounted for a good while with no issues. It's one less thing to worry about.

I'm not saying bushing mounts won't work because that's just not the case. My Jim's Garage buggy is bushing mounted and it hasn't had an issue but ill be replacing all the bushings after the next ride as a PM item just to be safe.

Here is what i done. Been running similar setup for year on mud trucks that run 600-900 hp and they have more frame flex than my buggy will have

uqesybym.jpg

ebavager.jpg

murehury.jpg