• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Motor mounts

CrustyJeep

I'm building new motor mount for the CJ. It's beyond time to get rid of the old GM bisquets.

I'm planning to use YJ leaf spring shackle bushings. They are 1.25" OD, .5" bolt, 2.5" wide. Anybody see a problem with these bushings for this?

Nope, They are not the biggest ones but they won't wear out too quickly. I ran chevy 1/2 ton bushings of similar size. I have seen people use f350 bushings before, wich are probably bigger but if ya got the yj ones they will work fine.

I figure if they can hold the entire Jeep suspension up, and get more abuse loads than engine mounts would, you should be ok. Heat is the only abuse suspension mounts would not normally be subjected to.

Yeah, not worried about stress on the bushings at all, but was worried they may be a little TOO stiff. They don't have much give.

I use them for everything else and love 'em :D

The crashfab mounts have held up to many years of use along with all the other sets out there :redneck:

crash said:
The crashfab mounts have held up to many years of use along with all the other sets out there :redneck:
YJ bushings, or something else?

As a side note, YJ bushings are a pain to get in quantity. A better source for good bushings at a reasonable price wouldn't suck for future projects.

Just get some 3/8 chain Glen and go from your exhaust manifold and weld it to the frame.:redneck: I here Greenshields has plenty of it to and strong.I think this could be Crashfabs secret :stirpot: :redneck:

I have read that if you use urethane motor mounts, you should also use them for the tranny mount and same with rubber (ie rubbber/rubber). I think your frame is more of a concern than the motor, so I would spread the load as much as practical and keep an eye on the frame to mount interface for awhile.

I want to see some pics when you get some progress made.

BTW, where are you getting a good price on the poly YJ bushings?

If you are going to polly bushing your motor mounts then its a must to do every mount that way or your just going to torqu twist stuff...

Glen that how i made mine, i think i used some CJ bushings but its what i had that fit the pipe i had. been in there five years no issues. tranny mount is poly also.

i started a windshield thread here in tech.:super:

I used the MORE bombproof motor mounts. Yeh may have cost a little bit more, but not much. But they work perfect.