• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MSD 6A/6AL Enclosure

ToledoDan

I am running a MSD 6A on an open tube chassis. I have read these are not sealed units and don't like to get wet. I am in SE TX, so water is unavoidable, but this is no swamp buggy by any means. I have also heard they need to be somewhat open to avoid heat build up.

I have thought about building a small box a little bigger than the unit itself. They are about 4" x 8" by about 1.75" tall, so I was thinking a box that is about 6" x 13" x 3" tall so I would have plenty of space for the pigtail. Just before I get crazy building a tricked out water cut box with some kind of cool venting design, I would like to see if there is a better option available. :dunno:

What are people doing for enclosures on these? Pictures please.

Been there and replaced them like they were free. I did put just a little bit of clear silicone on the rev limiter adjusting opening that seemed to help. That always seemed to be where water would enter on mine. Hope this helps.

ADMINISTRATOR

mount it bottom down.
had one of mine mounted in to firewall sideways inside plastic box with open bottom but moisture cumulated inside the msd box and stayed inside it and got to circuit board.
new one is mounted under dash just bottom down and has no issues yet.

they mount circuit board to roof ofthe box

picture.php

thanks. I like the idea of mounting to the bottom of the roof, but don't like the idea of all the wires coming down and for the time being it's not getting a hard roof. Plan to have canvas roof much like a bikini top made in the near future.