• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My first buggy build

stroyer

I've been working on this since February, so I'll just post up some pics from the start. As I mentioned in the newbie thread, I'm a big fan of Coleworx and wanted to mimic the Riddler build, so I hope that's taken as a show of respect and not a ripoff. thumb.gif I was going to go with a TJ tub setup, but that has changed as my build progressed. I'll be running the cowl area, hood and grille but rest will be skinned. Since I'm a first timer, I wanted to use a platform to easily build from and keep square. Started with tube laser cut 2x4x1/4 wall frame rails and went from there.

Specs below and still acquiring parts.

2003 5.3L (mild cam)
Rebuilt TH350
Dana 300 w/ Tera 4:1, twin sticks
Front Chevy D60, 5.13's, Detroit
Rear 14 Bolt, 5.13's, Full Spool
1.75"x1/8" wall DOM
118" wheelbase, 72" tall, 155" total Length
42x17
Profender 2.5", 16" coilovers, front & rear
Profender Airbumps

Our Trumpf Tube Laser

IMAG0140.jpg

Click to watch video

Hex holes are for 3/8" rivnuts used to bolt up flat plate

IMAG0144.jpg

I'm building a custom fuel cell to sit in rear and will have a short bench tucked up behind the seats for when my girls 5 & 8 go along. Otherwise it will be a tool box/cooler in that location. I'm planning to be done by early Spring, but with having a fam and all that entails, we'll see. Still need to acquire some stuff, but I'm trying to get it rolling and back to my house. Right now it's at a shop a bunch of friends all rent out.

It's not being built to "bounce" due to the fact that there are no hills/mountains around here, lol. But I do want to be able to beat on it when we got to South Dakota, Colorado and Moab every year. thumb.gif

Yeah, that was the plan for this one. Build for some abuse, but carry 2 or 3 comfortably. And a kickass, center, deepwell cooler is a must. :drinkers:

If that's your first build your doing great, Can't really tell from the pics but are you going to have enough room around your starter and motor mount brace for your driveshaft? Dana 300's clocked flat like that usually try to put the shaft into everything, once again that looks cool keep it up

Thanks. Working on front end now and yes, it'll be tight. As soon as the short headers go on, I'll be locating a pillow block for the two piece front shaft. Should be enough room, based on my measurements.

I tell you what, though, I'm enjoying the hell out of this build! Pretty sure it won't be my last one. thumb.gif

Unfortunately, my build time has taken a hit lately. Kids back in school and it's been hotter than hell here in the Midwest, as well. I did manage to get a lot of prep tube work done for the front. Hopefully going to get after it on Friday some more. thumb.gif

I did get the hood prep cut and the cowl area mounted up. Hoping for an extremely productive September. thumb.gif

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0523.jpg

Thanks. I hate body work with a passion, so I'll be utilizing our scanners and lasers for finish sheet metal work, but I've used a manual bender for all tube. Wouldn't do it any other way.

AllGo, I'm in Lincoln, NE.