• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My first experience with a diesel and some weight.

P

If its free, its P
So this Clayton run mandated that we use Matt O's HD for a tow rig and pile my heavy junk and his on a big as balls gooseneck borrowed from Brad Bradley.

I was nervous, I cant lie. ive never towed with a gooseneck more than from my house to Grayrock and that was back roads and at a blue hairs pace. To top it all off.... I got put on the 2:30am until I couldnt stand it anymore around 5:30am driving duty. Yea real fun for a first timer. Anyway. WOW I can not believe how well a nicely setup tow rig ( read big diesel badass truck ) and a good trailer do. I dont feel as comfortable in my truck with my trailer with 1/3 the weight going down the road as I did with the 15k + we had behind Matt's HD. Did I mention we didnt have trailer brakes and it still felt good ? :eek:

Truly awesome, I dont see me in a bigger diesel anytime soon but man I have new respect. ( I towed a ton of the way back as well... maybe 6 hours straight and through Memphis during freaknic or something LOL ) I cant speak highly enough on how nice and comfortable it is towing with a good setup.

ClaytonOK5-2627-2007003.jpg

Yeah I was pleased with it also, first goosneck experience and I loved it. Easier to turn and back, will get one sometime. Thanks again Brad for letting us borrow. The trailer brake issue was due to the controller, still need to sort that out. The 7 way in the bed is dead, so the only real problem we had was the plug keep coming unplugged because it was stretched as far out as possible to the bumper. P did drive for 7 of the 10 hours yesterday, and I enjoyed the **** out of sitting in the front and bs'ing. Got about 8mpg which is not bad considering

Last year going to Clayton David and I had our rigs on a gooseneck with his GMC dually. That was my first time driving a diesel and towing a trailer that large and I know what you mean Paul. I felt way more comfortable with the gooseneck than I do towing my 18ft. bumper pull. Those HD's are workhorses. And yes Matt, 8mpg is not bad, that is what David gets in his pulling a gooseneck with 2 rigs.

When we were getting close to the Jasper / end of Corridor X there was a Benz, a Bimmer, and a semi that were somewhat going back and forth on the hills and not stayin at a consistant speed. ( I had the HD on cruise @ 70 ) we hit a few hills and I was like... F this man, I laid into it a lil going up a hill getting away from the semi as he was haulin ass down hill so he could pull the next hill. It pulled the next grade at 80 and i wasnt in the floor. I was really impresed, thats a load and we left the Benzo , Bimmer and Semi. I stayed around 80 and put some distance between us. Fuggin awesome man, I cant do that with my gas burner and just my rig on a lil trailer ! 8)

It really had me day dreamin about a trade in... :-X

blacksheep10 said:
I think you have to own the truck you are trading in........

I do son, got the title last week 8) Im not trading it... I love that SOB and its perfect for my situation.... LOVE IT ;D