• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Wide Open Design Evolution Chassis Build (Madness)

Sawzall

I usually build all of my junk including tow rigs and the family's daily drivers. I planned on building my own chassis but when I saw the Evolution chassis in person I knew my tube work would never look that good so I had to have one.

Most all of the parts will be bought from WOD. It has a 2006 LQ4 Chevy 6.0, TH400, 3.8 Atlas, 114 wheelbase, King shocks, and PRP seats. I hope to have it finished by late summer.

0210121643.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

A one piece front shaft is going to work. Tube is .188 wall and joints are 1410. The slip section is a new take off from a F450 with the balancer and support bearing pressed off. That gave me a little more length to clear.

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

Re: My Wide Open Design Evolution Chassis Build

The only problem I have run into so far is the engine skid. I wanted to use the deep truck oil pan so to keep a flat belly the pan had to be between the tubes. The drive shaft hits the skid when cycling the suspension. It looks like I will have to use a shorter pan and move the skid over. I haven't looked at where the pickup is in the pan. It might be possible to notch the pan and move the skid over to the drivers side a couple of inches.

I got the exhaust fabricated and spotted together. I used a 2.5" to 3" Flowmaster Y collector and a Hushpower muffler:

IMAG0430.jpg

Dash and console tubes in place:

IMAG0432.jpg

Rear motor mounts and tubes in place:

IMAG0433.jpg

Artec high steer arms installed. WOD built me the sleeves from 7075 aluminum:

IMAG0429.jpg

Cowl induction style engine guard added. It will get covered with sheet metal:

IMAG0442.jpg

sweet lookin machine really like cowl induction look :dblthumb:

That chassis has the PERFECT amount of rolled tubing in it and in the right places. I love the style and look of it. Not a bunch of use less bars sticking in every open orfice of the buggy like alot of them out there.

Any plans for the LS?

YOUNG said:
Any plans for the LS?

Stock for now, maybe a cam later. I have been wheeling 80hp and about the same weight for a few years. I will probably soil myself the first few times out with the stock LS. ;D

any updates? i really like the looks of the chassis. maybe i need to sell mine and start on one of these

hinton said:
any updates? i really like the looks of the chassis. maybe i need to sell mine and start on one of these
Not much progress lately. I reworked the transmission and transfer mounts and now working on the interior sheet metal. Hopefully I can post a couple of photos after this weekend.

Completely reworked the transmission mount by moving the poly bushings closer to the center.

IMAG0509.jpg

I built the transfer mount to hang from the top so I have room for the large muffler. I will also add a couple more braces, one to the front and one to the side.

IMAG0507.jpg

I am using pop rivets to build the pans. This is really my first attempt at any major panel work besides working with steel and a mig welder. The panels will come out in sections.

IMAG0499.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

Got some 43" stickies and steel Racelines on the way.

Progress is looking good! I'm not expert, but I don't think those zipties are rated to hold up to that driveshaft :****:

ridered3 said:
Progress is looking good! I'm not expert, but I don't think those zipties are rated to hold up to that driveshaft :****:
Why not? They hold up just fine on a Samurai. :dunno:

Got my 43 stickies mounted. I mounted them on 9.5" wide Rock Mod wheels.

IMAG0548.jpg