• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some opinions on tcase gearing

stroyer

So, getting ready to purchase a case & struggling what to go with. I have a built 6.0 around 500hp built for low end, th400, 60/14 with 5.38s on sticky 42's (eventually 43's). There's a good deal on 3:1 case, just worried I would want deeper like a 3.8. I'm not bouncing & certainly not running the Hammers....also don't want to worry about holding the buggy on a down hill ledge....

This is a completely new build for me at this level, so nothing really to guage from on past rigs. Any input on someone running ratios similar to this? 3.0 be ok? 3.8 better? Too low?

Id run 3.8. I really like that ratio. I came from 4.1 and thought i wouldnt like it but its a great ratio I'm finding

I like my 3.8 case 5.13 gear combo. Crawls great and let it shift to drive for tire speed.

Use this calculator to put different combinations in.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If you truly have a 500 HP motor without too much cam then a 3:1 case with 5.38s is going to be plenty low in my opinion. I think that case with 4.56 gears would be perfect but that is my preference.

My buddy has basically the same final drive ratio with a th400, atlas 3.8 and 4.10s behind a stock 5.3. He really likes it but definitely wouldn't go lower for what we do.

sounds familiar :****:

500+hp lq4, th350, 5.38s, 3.8 atlas, 43" stickies. imo, it's great combo for just about everything. more than enough wheelspeed and crawls really well. only thing I would change is my torque converter. it's a 2700 stall that stalls quite a bit higher than that and it's too high when crawling technical stuff (like out west).

Waffle said:
Me: 450hp Lq4, th350 + 2500 stall, atlas 3.0, 5.13, 43's and there's no way in hell I'd want more low range gear. I crawl just fine and I don't bounce. Just a trail buggy at Harlan, Windrock, etc etc.

This.

1tfrot said:
sounds familiar :****:

500+hp lq4, th350, 5.38s, 3.8 atlas, 43" stickies. imo, it's great combo for just about everything. more than enough wheelspeed and crawls really well. only thing I would change is my torque converter. it's a 2700 stall that stalls quite a bit higher than that and it's too high when crawling technical stuff (like out west).

Nice & thanks, everyone. This will help me sleep at night, lol...

The-Boss said:
Use this calculator to put different combinations in.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If you truly have a 500 HP motor without too much cam then a 3:1 case with 5.38s is going to be plenty low in my opinion. I think that case with 4.56 gears would be perfect but that is my preference.

My buddy has basically the same final drive ratio with a th400, atlas 3.8 and 4.10s behind a stock 5.3. He really likes it but definitely wouldn't go lower for what we do.

Thanks for the link & input.

I've got a stock lq4, th400, 3.8 with 4.10's on 43's. 3.8 does everything great with me only wishing I had just a little more speed in 3/low cruising between trails. I haven't done the math but seems like you'd be close as far as rpm vs speed with a 3.1.

If anybody needs some lower gearing for their Atlas II, I've got a complete set of 5.0's sitting on the shelf. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

3.0 if for no other reason than it's a much stronger gearset than the 3.8 and lower. If you need more crawl with 500hp, a 3.0 and 5.38s buy a Toyota :****:

I used to have 4.56s and a 3.8, it was great but I exploded the gears. Went to a 3.0 with same axle gears and love it. I just use 1st more often now where before I never used 1st.

redneckengineered said:
3.0 if for no other reason than it's a much stronger gearset than the 3.8 and lower. If you need more crawl with 500hp, a 3.0 and 5.38s buy a Toyota :****:

I used to have 4.56s and a 3.8, it was great but I exploded the gears. Went to a 3.0 with same axle gears and love it. I just use 1st more often now where before I never used 1st.

I geared mine just like this guys. Glad I did.

With the horsepower rigs are building these days I really dont see much use for anything deeper than 3.0. I ran a stock lq4 with a 400/205/5.13s on 43s because I was too cheap to go to an Atlas and I could still go as slow as I needed to anywhere I wheeled. Seems like if it was dry enough for me to be able to actually crawl something then it was already easy enough to climb and if it was the least bit slick at all then I could just mash my motor and hop up on it. That being said I would've rather had something 3.0 but I thin 3.8 wouldve been too low.

redneckengineered said:

Toyota guy daydreaming here....thinking about a future build.

So me and a buddy were talking about this very thing the other day, doing what wheelers do, i was looking at different crawl ratios and that led us to talking about this very thing.

I have been wondering if the 3.8 gear would be the weak link in this equation. I had felt like the 3.8 would be an issue because of the gear turning at such a higher RPM and then being placed under a large shock load it wouldn't be able to handle it...it looks like the personal experience you guys have with that setup confirms that the 3.8 for Southern style wheeling might not be a good choice. I know many different setups are good and many of them can be made to work, however, my train of thought in this conversation is focused on the Build it Once and Leave it, type setup..,

It is my personal opinion, although i maybe wrong, that it would be better for the weak link be the ring and pinion, because it is less collateral damage in the event of a failure, relatively speaking....which is a lot cheaper that replacing a T-case at 3000+ dollars.

So i here is my question,
Andrew, do you think that a ratio of TH350 2.52 X Atlas 3.0 X Axle gear 4.56 =34.47 is more targeted for a rig with 500ish or more Hp?

And in no way am i being a smart aleck....my buddies rig is a TH350/np205 with a lowmax 3.0/ and 5.13's so that puts him at 38.78 which seems to really work out great.
It crawls really well and also has the power to really spin when you want to get into a higher gear....i have really been basing my thoughts for final crawl ratios to build a new rig on the way his rig preforms. I don't remember what stall he has at the moment. Also i don't think his is over the 500hp mark...so i am wondering if the diffrence in ratio's vs HP is where the main diffrence would be. Somewhat of a Crawl Ratio vs HP...more horsepower=less crawl ratio....Less horsepower =slightly more crawl ratio.

I have a TH400 already so i have been playing around with Ratios a lot.

So TH400 2.48 X Atlas 3.0 X Axles 4.56 =33.92 which is right there at the 34.47 i think you may have. I had thought that i wanted to go with 4.10 gears at the diff for strength reasons but if you do the math on 4.10's it comes out to 30.50 which i think is to low a ratio for a trail rig...

I hope this makes sense...

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for entertaining it.

Latest posts