• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some opinions on tcase gearing

ftoy516 said:
So i here is my question,
Andrew, do you think that a ratio of TH350 2.52 X Atlas 3.0 X Axle gear 4.56 =34.47 is more targeted for a rig with 500ish or more Hp?

And in no way am i being a smart aleck....my buddies rig is a TH350/np205 with a lowmax 3.0/ and 5.13's so that puts him at 38.78 which seems to really work out great.
It crawls really well and also has the power to really spin when you want to get into a higher gear....i have really been basing my thoughts for final crawl ratios to build a new rig on the way his rig preforms. I don't remember what stall he has at the moment. Also i don't think his is over the 500hp mark...so i am wondering if the diffrence in ratio's vs HP is where the main diffrence would be. Somewhat of a Crawl Ratio vs HP...more horsepower=less crawl ratio....Less horsepower =slightly more crawl ratio.

I have a TH400 already so i have been playing around with Ratios a lot.

So TH400 2.48 X Atlas 3.0 X Axles 4.56 =33.92 which is right there at the 34.47 i think you may have. I had thought that i wanted to go with 4.10 gears at the diff for strength reasons but if you do the math on 4.10's it comes out to 30.50 which i think is to low a ratio for a trail rig...

I hope this makes sense...

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks for entertaining it.

I think the TH350/TH400, 4.56, and 3.0 Atlas is perfect for a trail rig with a warmed up LS. Doesn't necessarily have to be 500hp. If someone had a stock 5.3 and wanted a little more gear I would have no problem with 4.88s or even 5.13s but that's as low as I would personally want to go. I also think the 4.10s would be a tad high for trail riding but I know some bouncers like them. I don't think you're going to see a big difference in strength between the 4.56 and 4.10 gears. I definitely would not run a 3.8 Atlas again. I got it straight from the horses mouth at AA that the 3.0 is significantly stronger and they will steer you towards it if they know you're fooling around in the 500hp+ range.

yea i know you are very familiar with this setup, and i value the opinion for sure.

i wonder if the 5% difference in ratios between the two: 34 vs 39 would really be that much different, i guess at that point it may just take some playing around to get the converter just right.

i like seeing what different rigs are running and how they work, also how people like the setup or what they would change... if anything.

redneckengineered said:
3.0 if for no other reason than it's a much stronger gearset than the 3.8 and lower. If you need more crawl with 500hp, a 3.0 and 5.38s buy a Toyota :****:

I used to have 4.56s and a 3.8, it was great but I exploded the gears. Went to a 3.0 with same axle gears and love it. I just use 1st more often now where before I never used 1st.

What kind of situation were you in when the gears let go? High tire speed then sudden traction? Launched it with good traction?

Sawzall said:
What kind of situation were you in when the gears let go? High tire speed then sudden traction? Launched it with good traction?

Floorboard. I honestly don't know if it caught traction and broke or what. Broke a front HP60 R&P and 3.8 gearset in the Atlas all at once. This was about 1am, I had buddies telling me to leave it and we'd get it in the morning. I said **** that, backed down the hill, shifted to high, and drove the **** back to the trailer :****:

Sawzall said:

redneckengineered said:
Floorboard. I honestly don't know if it caught traction and broke or what. Broke a front HP60 R&P and 3.8 gearset in the Atlas all at once. This was about 1am, I had buddies telling me to leave it and we'd get it in the morning. I said **** that, backed down the hill, shifted to high, and drove the **** back to the trailer :****:

To be more specific, Andrew was on the hill to the right of dumbass hill at GMP. He was at the top ledge when everything **** the bed. I haven't seen anyone up that hill in a long time.

Latest posts