• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New front end

GaryTJ

Starting a new project. Going to replace the ft axle and trying to do a step by step how I did it for those with an interest.

86 Ford hp dana 60 axle, shorten it to 62" WMS, new ARB, Gears, Axles(Bobby Long CV's), 1/2 ton ford rotors with chev 3/4 brakes, chev 1 ton TRE's, and mount to my existing 3 link front suspension and reinstall the ram assist.

Just starting out, but what I have done so far...

old axle.
View attachment 17451

stripped down.
View attachment 17450

Ford rotors. I have to machine out the center hole to fit the 60 hubs.
View attachment 17453

The only machined inner surface is the one I need to machine, so I have to make another to be able to chuck them true.
View attachment 17452

Then I can machine the center out.
View attachment 17454

Attachments

• dana 60 018.jpg
    dana 60 018.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 304
  • dana 60 003.jpg
    dana 60 003.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 291
  • dana 60 009.jpg
    dana 60 009.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 292
  • dana 60 010.jpg
    dana 60 010.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 296
  • dana 60 011.jpg
    dana 60 011.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 298
Next machine the hubs down to 4.5" backside diameter and 4.25 outside diameter to fit into 15" wheels and run the ford rotors.

View attachment 17455

View attachment 17456

and a box of parts waiting for install. I still need the ARB and will be lookin for one this weekend at the swapmeet.

View attachment 17457

Will continue after this weekend.

Attachments

• dana 60 013.jpg
    dana 60 013.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 298
  • dana 60 012.jpg
    dana 60 012.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 289
  • dana 60 017.jpg
    dana 60 017.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 294
Quality chatter. But hey, If it works run with it....

I was gonna say somethin.....but I ain't mean like you:flipoff:
HAHA.....maybe neck that bar down a smidge on the tool post and GET SOME!!:redneck:

Thats kick ass man. but damn you just kinda kicked me in the nuts with my new 44. I was all excited about having it, now I'm just :booo:

HAHA.....maybe neck that bar down a smidge on the tool post and GET SOME!!:redneck:

Im not mean, Im an a**hole.

Really, Ya gotta give him props. I woulda done the same thing if i was in his shoes.

Im not mean, Im an a**hole.

Really, Ya gotta give him props. I woulda done the same thing if i was in his shoes.

you guy's are jerkfaces, I was like hell yes, that's some backyard ****, the rough finish is nothing that a little emery cloth won't fix.:redneck:

you guy's are jerkfaces, I was like hell yes, that's some backyard ****, the rough finish is nothing that a little emery cloth won't fix.:redneck:

I was thinking the chatter gives it kinda cool look..

Its by time gary :awesomework:

Why can't I see the pictures?
This project sounds really cool,
but this thread makes little sense without visuals.

Why can't I see the pictures?
This project sounds really cool,
but this thread makes little sense without visuals.

click

click---ops click :redneck:

Kinda like watching a -----ummmm--never mind :redneck:

Probably, but the emery cloth will give the swirl effect that most definitely "get's the bitches"

Yes it would---don't know about the bitchs part

I actually was trying to devise a way to use a brake lathe at work to machine out the centers of some Chevy rotors for my rear disc swap when I was working at a repair shop. I never did though. Got the brakes working pretty damn good after I swapped the front end around and used the bigger calipers and stuck a proportioning valve in there.

One of these days Ill get the rear disc done after I get tired of cleaning the mud out. But, then again, you have to actually WHEEL to get them dirty in the first place, haha.

Nice work man, looks like a ton of fun. Im always excited when I get some new parts, a pile like that would probably keep me in a good mood for a long time, haha.

~T.J.

Nothing wrong with back yard machine work. Shiiiiiiit I would have mounted it on a front axle then put the rig in gear.............Go to town with a die grinder.:redneck: