• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new trailer deck, what to treat wood with?

sucmah

I am replacing the 2x6 deck on my car hauler. What is the best wood treatment to use on the new boards to get long life out of them? I have heard bad things about pressure treated wood on trailer decks. ANy input appreciated.

Ok, i got alot of usless dribble and a few decent replys, i guess i will try the pressure treated.

Thanks,

I used pressure treated wood on a trailer we have, and for 15 years the wood is in good condition!

Another option would be to use what they call Trex! It's decking material, is backed by a 25 year warranty! It's a plastic and recycled wood product! Doesn't shrink or swell with the weather!
http://www.trex.com/default1.asp

Actually oiling wood IS a good preservative.

And you could prolly use something like Thompsons water seal, ya know that stuff they use for woods decks.

I am replacing the 2x6 deck on my car hauler. What is the best wood treatment to use on the new boards to get long life out of them? I have heard bad things about pressure treated wood on trailer decks. ANy input appreciated.

My pressure treated wood is 13 years old, and holding up fine (from a rotting perspective). Don't think I'd go with any lesser quality of wood. Although, I have been mulling over that newer style of plastic wood decking - you know the stuff that McDonalds and Parks depts use to make picnic benches.

I wonder if the man made decking is strong enough for the heavy loads of a trailer. Seems like the plastic would bow easier without more supports underneath.

My pressure treated wood is 13 years old, and holding up fine (from a rotting perspective). Don't think I'd go with any lesser quality of wood. Although, I have been mulling over that newer style of plastic wood decking - you know the stuff that McDonalds and Parks depts use to make picnic benches.

I hear the stuff that incorporates wood fibers in it grows mushrooms pretty well.