• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New yota into old yota

Lucky Jeff

I'm sure this is old news to most, but the guy here at work was wondering if there was a way to bolt a 3.4 V6 from a newer Yota into his 86 4banger yota.. Would he need a new tranny too? I know he'll need all of the wiring. Just not sure on the tranny part.

I'm sure this is old news to most, but the guy here at work was wondering if there was a way to bolt a 3.4 V6 from a newer Yota into his 86 4banger yota.. Would he need a new tranny too? I know he'll need all of the wiring. Just not sure on the tranny part.

He needs to post a picture of what he's done to that '86 Yota....

I'll post a picture of what I did to the 93 CTD, if he does....

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/engine_upgrades.htm#3.4l_swap_kits

It can be done. Just a little spendy. Read their technical article, its got some good info there too. ORS has a plug and play harness, he needs a new tranny, motor mounts, hood clearance (body lift works well), clutch if its a 5 speed, etc. Finding the 5 speed 3.4 was my biggest problem. Converting the auto 3.4 to manual isnt too bad mechanically so long as you get one with a crank that will take a pilot bearing, its just tracking down the 3.4 manual harness you need.

I ALMOST went this route with a 3.0 5 speed 4Runner I have that was going to get a 22RE instead. Then, I almost went this way.

3.4 will bolt to my 3.0 tranny and motor mounts, shares a lot of the engine components, plug and play wiring with the ORS harness.

22RE needs new motor mounts and 22RE tranny swap (have all this from that 90 I got from you, haha), along with all the engine components and engine wiring done custom. Only thing keeping me from doing the 3.4 is the cost and finding a 5 speed motor with wiring and ECU really.

Now Im not sure what Im gonna do with it. It still sits, 22RE is fully ready to be put together after machining and full rebuild kit bought. Oh well...

~T.J.

Last edited:
not a thing.. He only drives it once every couple of weekends..

He's had it for almost a year, and he's done none of the stuff he was talking about? Oi.....

And whats wrong with the 4 banger that is in there? Low miles. No smoke. Kicked some serious butt when I had it....

Fine, No pictures from me then.... :fawkdancesmiley:

He's had it for almost a year, and he's done none of the stuff he was talking about? Oi.....

And whats wrong with the 4 banger that is in there? Low miles. No smoke. Kicked some serious butt when I had it....

Fine, No pictures from me then.... :fawkdancesmiley:

He's kinda tired of having to get a run at a hill just to try and make the speedlimit by the top.. Plus it's been put on the back burner since he's building a 53 panel truck.

He's kinda tired of having to get a run at a hill just to try and make the speedlimit by the top.. Plus it's been put on the back burner since he's building a 53 panel truck.

mmmm Sounds like the tranny's slipping. I know, that when I had a hill to climb, I just took the OD off. Flew up many a hill that way. Once the tranny down shifted, I'd take the OD off and leave it there until I got to the top.

Took me about three months to figure that out.

OD is the little orange button on the gear shift.

53 panel? Ford, Chev, or Dodge?

Dude.. you can still get alota power out of em... the auto trannys sucks arse

Switch it for a w56 you need to swith the computer too, that will improve gasmillage and get you gonig quicker without having a bogged down noise going up hills

Then just put some headers on :D

find a first gen 4runner with a blown 3.0L. That way you'll already have the trans and correct motor mounts and all you have to worry about is wiring and getting the exhaust to fit.
if his runner is still working i'd leave it the way it is.. maybe sell it.?. but thats just me

I'd almost be willing to buy it back from him, but I know the reason he got it was because his wife wants to go crawling around in the desert looking for cool rocks....

Um, Carl is still married, right?

Besides, we might be getting a Jeep wheeler soon...

find a first gen 4runner with a blown 3.0L. That way you'll already have the trans and correct motor mounts and all you have to worry about is wiring and getting the exhaust to fit.
if his runner is still working i'd leave it the way it is.. maybe sell it.?. but thats just me

:eeek: first gen with a 3.0? ummm.. ok.. :eeek:

You musta been thinking trucks. First generation 4runners are the same as second gen pickups. they started building 4runners in 1984.
Yeah, i think they started putting them in the trucks in 88, and putting them in the runners in 89. Not exactly sure, anyone know if toyota put the 3.0s in 4runners in 1988?
84Toyota, what year is yours? 1989?

what 84Toyota has, is the best candidate for a 3.4L swap.

I believe it was 89 for the runners. They changed the truck body style in 89 but left the runners the same only adding the 3.0 option.

Latest posts