• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

next years safety at the races?

liv2mx

is there any new safety devices being mandatory for next years series.i know there is a few different ones talked about.i heard something about a full fire system,maybe neck braces mandatory? im all for getting nuts but I think everyone is really pushing the envelope these days. I did not make dtor boobash but it looked crazy. joe does a great job with crowd control, but I saw some videos of people jumping into the track and other really close calls.shelby had a guy jump onto the track as she was going by?i know its hard to control people but I would hate to run someone over.the jumping is awesome but at a big event like that a kill switch would be good on the rig also.when jojo got knocked out he could of mashed the gas and turn into a bad situation.
just a few thoughts.i love this sport and all the craziness it brings.just thoughts in my mind.wonder what other guys think? I don't like the idea of the added cost of these safety items.kinda why im asking too.so if we need some next year I can be prepared for the cost.

SRRS is always looking for ways to make things safer for the drivers and fans. We are currently working with different vendors for safety equipment for 2014, from fire suits, fire systems (halon), Hans neck support, to remote shut offs. I know several racers in the series are concerned with us giving bigger payouts, but we are more concerned with investing more $$ in safety equipment, like the Axel helmets we gave to the racers that ran every race for 2013. We have several new safety rules and guidelines for 2014. Some of things we will require may seem useless to some, but it will help to keep the fans safe and the drivers safe. We may decide to run race courses that aren't as extreme as you would want, but safety and crowd control will always be high up on the list when picking race hills. We would love to run Violator or Showtime at Choccolocco, but if someone got hurt it would be a nightmare trying to get out of there safely and timely.

I would like to make a comment. This is from the AXEL site shown under one of their helmet descriptions:

"Protection is cool. Concussions, bleedings or worse scenarios are not. "

Now not to put them on the spot but clearly this happened to Jordan, the design of this helmet with these open gaps is not IMO very safe, granted his seat broke and was not wearing a neck brace but his helmet was penetrated by the corner of this gas tank through this larger hole in the upper rear, that's pretty much where his head was bleeding when I saw the video. Making an ABS shell breathable is one thing but when you roll or jump and have the possibility of tree limbs, rocks, even things inside the cab penetrating these holes it is IMO time for a different design or a full helmet.

IMG_7774_bearbeitet-800.jpg

As soon as some of the top players (or anyone that wants to play/compete on that level) sets the bar for safety, others will follow. Mainly because when you feel safer, you can drive harder and faster with more control.

The problem is now, that $150 Corbeau Baja SS and solid Kirkey seats, with $50 G-force or RJS 4 point harnesses is the standard safety gear for buggies now-a-days,

PRP, Twisted Stitch, and Master Craft all build seats to order, and there are some great vendors on here that will help you get exactly what you need, or you can call direct.

On my old ECORS stock class rig, I was also amazed at the difference when I went from some cheap-o Crow harnesses to some PRP "pull-up" style (you pull the lap belt slack toward the center, rather than away to tighten the lap belts, WAY EASIER to get the belts tight). The belt adjusters were also higher quality, easier to adjust, and held better. And the actual belt webbing was a better fabric that was more pliable and easier to get tight.

A neck brace (even a cheap helmet donut) under a motocross or fullface helmet will help stabilize your head, and focus more on driving instead of looking around, or trying to keep your heat on straight.

Also, USE the crotch strap on your 5 points, and adjust it accordingly to keep the lap belts down ON your pelvis.

Oh, and if you are competing in motorsport, why would you NOT wear a motorsports helmet?

Those rockclimbing/skateboard helmets look like a good option to keep in a trail rig for those time when your on some really hard **** or there is chance you might roll off a bluff or something, but hauling ****ing balls at a huge hill and jumping rock slabs and ledges it a whole 'nother ball game

Thanks for the response Srrs.Jeremy has talked to me about some of you guys ideas.just have not heard anything lately so wanted an update.please let us know when u guys decide on what we need.your definetly doing the right thing. Thanks guys!

I have seen a lot of fires when the rigs roll I am guessing it is ATF on the exhaust why don't they use a catch can on the fill tube to reduce the amount of fires just throwing that out there, not sure if they can be used or not

Catch can would be hard to run on most rigs these buggies are made to be HILL KILLERS there built very tight to reduce weight so there is no room left on most of our buggies to add a whole a lot of devices and the ATF most of the time comes from the breathers or fuilds come out of places or containers that gets crushed by the rocks from what's happen on my buggy

Rohlingoffroad said:
Catch can would be hard to run on most rigs these buggies are made to be HILL KILLERS there built very tight to reduce weight so there is no room left on most of our buggies to add a whole a lot of devices and the ATF most of the time comes from the breathers or fuilds come out of places or containers that gets crushed by the rocks from what's happen on my buggy

really? you can tie both diffs and usually the transfer case into one catch can. then one for the trans and PS reservoir (if needed). you can get a locking dipstick off a newer gm transmission and modify it to work, i've done it for my th350. catch cans are easy to add and you can make them as small as you want. at least run a loop in the vent tube and then run it down to the belly or sub-frame area away from exhaust.

That what I was thinking with the lockable dipstick and putting a pipe nipple to the side and run it over to the catch can

Re:

I have used this type harness in aerobatic planes, loose harnesses suck when going from +6 to -4 g's in less than a second . Seems like it would be a good fit for bouncing.
http://www.hookerharness.com/racingaccessories.php
qutanygu.jpg

Mentioned it yesterday, but after watching Dale's hit I think a HANS device would be a good piece of safety equipment to have. Completely agree with Nick that if the top dogs start using more safety stuff it will trickle down.

Fire suits, window nets or arm restraints, and FULL face helmets should be a min requirement to race.Half helmets are dangerous IMO.

Elliott said:
Fire suits, window nets or arm restraints, and FULL face helmets should be a min requirement to race.Half helmets are dangerous IMO.
Not trying to argue, but whats the point in a window net on a buggy entirely made of tubing? Your arms,body, head, etc, could fly out of any opening.

Windows are the most convenient place for them to fly out. Properly strapped in nothing should fly out. I'd say sheet metal or lexan or something covering the cab should be mandatory too, stumps and rocks can penetrate the gaps in the tubing.

In my opinion and that's all it is, the window opening is the biggest opening, and most likely where your arms are going to come out of in a roll.This happened several years ago at summertown, guy got knocked out,, the Buggie went on its side with his arm hanging out and his foot on the gas, the guy lost his arm over this accident from what I was told.

Everyone has their own opinion on safety, it all boils down to what these race promoters want this "sport" to evolve to.But two things are going to have to happen,
1 safety for drivers, rigs, and spectators does need to be addressed and appropriate changes made
2 payouts are going to have to be bigger, right now it's a joke at most races, 1,000 bucks to win after taxes becomes 700. Think about what it cost to travel several hours to a race pulling a trailor with a rig on it, not to mention hotel rooms and food, and the broken parts that are involved with this style of riding.

Let's say there is 2,000 people at a given race with everyone paying 15 bucks a head that's 30,000$. I know there has to be money givin to the park to cover expenses but damn let's get these guys pay up. These racers will wise up and start only hitting the big money events because that's where the crowds will be expecting them to go.

It isn't NASCAR, you're never going to get high payouts because there isn't a large enough fan base nor is there huge companies backing the drivers. You can't sell $50 tickets and get 50,000 people in a stadium to watch this stuff. I doubt you'll get the park owners to dig much deeper into their pockets.