• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

next years safety at the races?

I agree with that, But you can't expect someone to build a RACE rig that will be safe and all the extra personal protection actually needed to compete like this, without some kind of compensation to help out. All I meant is this, right now everyone minus a few are racing trail rigs, and I'm not knocking any of them at all,there all some bad rigs bar none, they couldn't make these hills and climbs if they wasn't. But there is a difference between the protection level in a race rig and a trail rig.

But just to be clear I haven't raced a one of these races so I'm just talking out my ass.I applaud the people putting on the races and the people racing, it gives me something to burn my Internet usage on my phone up with.

Theses promoters are already putting up good money.they work hard to put the events together.if u look at just the series at adventure next year.the owner has put up some major coin.plus he has been putting a ton into the park to make it better for everyone.king knob has been doing the same.ty has put a series together that a guy can finish in 10 th and still go home with some money. For me its real hard to make all the races and still find time to just go wheeling for the weekend.I drive from Mich on my own dime and pay for all my own parts/ repairs. Yea I like to see more money but I also wanna keep it fun like it is. Just wanna keep it safe but dont go overboard.look at koh.was a regular guy race when it started.now a spectator can barely watch one spot, if u don't have a major sponsor a chase truck and 10 guys on your crew u can't compete. Don't wanna see the good guy bouncing go to that.

The more regulated this sport becomes the more it looses what it used to be... Compare the experience of Talladega 1990 to 2010. I'm not saying safety is a bad thing (duh!), but to gain something you always change something in the process. It's almost like the good ol' days of this fledgling sport that is rock bouncing have already gone by...

Neck brace of some sort,window net, a few pannels of some sort arnt major expenses and could make a big difference , a few small small items could make a big difference with little money outta the drivers wallet and boost safety a good bit

Metal Head said:
I would like to make a comment. This is from the AXEL site shown under one of their helmet descriptions:

"Protection is cool. Concussions, bleedings or worse scenarios are not. "

Now not to put them on the spot but clearly this happened to Jordan, the design of this helmet with these open gaps is not IMO very safe, granted his seat broke and was not wearing a neck brace but his helmet was penetrated by the corner of this gas tank through this larger hole in the upper rear, that's pretty much where his head was bleeding when I saw the video. Making an ABS shell breathable is one thing but when you roll or jump and have the possibility of tree limbs, rocks, even things inside the cab penetrating these holes it is IMO time for a different design or a full helmet.

IMG_7774_bearbeitet-800.jpg

Sorry, I find this to be more of a owner/builders design flaw than he helmet manufacturer. Probably shouldn't be a fuel cell where your head is going to hit it in the first place.

mckeddie said:
Sorry, I find this to be more of a owner/builders design flaw than he helmet manufacturer. Probably shouldn't be a fuel cell where your head is going to hit it in the first place.

Yeah you're right of course, a buggy should be built around the helmet the driver wears. ::)

Metal Head said:
Yeah you're right of course, a buggy should be built around the helmet the driver wears. ::)

1000% sure when me and Jimmy built mine, we did this...our goals were:

1. safety
2. comfort
3.durability

in that order

Re:

It's easy to pick apart any buggy, driver, setup, safety equipment, fan safety practices, chassis design or anything in the world for that matter. It's even easier to pick apart something after an incident. The fact is we all place ourselves in danger and a position of liability every time a helmet is buckled, belts are tightened or engines are fired up. At the end of the day, IMO, it's the driver/owner responsibility for their own safety. We all are accountable for our actions and responsible for ourselves. It's not a place to point fingers and over regulation is not the end all answer.

Having said that...I've barrel rolled, back flipped and been in enough end over end wrecks that I wear a SFI approved full face helmet. I don't want my teeth knocked out or eye ball poked out. Several times this year I've strapped in and wished I had nets on WFO, I'm working on that now. I have never felt as safe in a buggy as I do with the nets up and fully strapped in my U4 buggy tight with a neck brace on. I make money with what's in my head and I will be worthless with scrambled brains. I take that seriously, very seriously.

Don't do what someone makes you, do what is right and makes sense! It's the right blooded American way

Re:

crawlin85cj said:
wished I had nets on WFO, I'm working on that now.

Ask Adam for some roll up window nets.

crawlin85cj said:
I make money with what's in my head and I will be worthless with scrambled brains.

I have told something close when people ask me why I always wear a helmet. "I make money with my head, perhaps you should wear gloves!"

I dont race so this is just an idea. Why dont the promoters of the race get together with some suppliers of helmets, harnesses, neck braces, window nets etc etc... and get them to pay a little extra $$ to the winners of each rac if they run there equipment ??? The suppliers can give the racers a Little discount for buying there product, which in return will help them sale more safety equipment , get them more advertising and make the racers safer. I kinda got the idea from fishing tournament's , anybody can enter and fish , but if your in a nittro boat or a triton it pays a bonus... JUST A IDEA

At minimum these guys should be wearing full faced dot and sfi aproved racing helmets, not a glorified skateboard/kayak helmet :****:

Imo the following should be a no-brainer, inexpensive and easy upgrades

kill switch,
catch cans for all flammable fluids
2 fire extinguishers (one that the driver can reach strapped in)
seat belt cutter ( in reach of driver)
Locking dipsticks

And these would be nice but are all expensive or difficult to do upgrades on most rigs

Bladder style fuel cell
Fire wall between driver and cell
No expanded steel in the floor
Window nets
Neck restraint
In date 5 point harnesses
Roof panels

TRIPPER said:
I dont race so this is just an idea. Why dont the promoters of the race get together with some suppliers of helmets, harnesses, neck braces, window nets etc etc... and get them to pay a little extra $$ to the winners of each rac if they run there equipment ??? The suppliers can give the racers a Little discount for buying there product, which in return will help them sale more safety equipment , get them more advertising and make the racers safer. I kinda got the idea from fishing tournament's , anybody can enter and fish , but if your in a nittro boat or a triton it pays a bonus... JUST A IDEA

Contingency programs are already being used in offroad racing but I don't think its trickled down to this level yet. The only problem that I see with this, is that the companies making the safety equipment don't have enough sales coming from offroad racing to make it beneficial for them to invest their money. It would be great to see it happen though. :dblthumb:

Thanks for all the responses from everyone, we are taking every mentioned safety idea into consideration. We are currently working with a vendor to design a new fire suit, neck braces, and helmets. The DOT standard for a helmet isnt the only thing we look for. Several DOT approved helmets on the market wouldnt make it passed the 2014 standards (coming out this week). Since the races at our events are short, we want the safety equipment to be comfortable, easy to move around in, and easily put on or removed. It will also give the racers a canvas for sponsors, since the travel and repair expenses are so high. We are still learning what works best for the racers, parks and series, so these type discussions help us more than one would think.

TRIPPER said:
Thats a contingency sponsorship, and we do have a few that do that now, MadRam11, Busted Knuckle, and Wide Open Designs did some last year.
Axel Off-road , Goforth Tires, Oneal Dodge, RCV, Raceline, and TrickShot all offer discounts to people that race in our series.