• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Notre Dame Paris

muddinmetal said:
Man, that is one of those places that there isn't enough money or craftmanship in the world to replace :'(

The catholic church definitively has the money. It's one of the most visited buildings in the world.

The skillset is there too (look for the "Compagnons du Devoir" group of people, if you can read french... It's an elite corps of tradesmen that are doing amazing things when it comes to that stuff. Takes many years of apprenticeship + very hard testing too be part of the group).

But it will never be the same.

Also, they were just starting a 20+ years renovation of the roof. I can't imagine how long it will take to rebuild it. Not sure I'll even see it done in my lifetime.

Imagine how much it sucks to be the dude who caused it or their insurance agent?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
Imagine how much it sucks to be the dude who caused it or their insurance agent?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My first thought was terrorist doing it. Hate to see that though.

According to what I could find, the fire started about 30mn after the building closed and was empty. Explains why the fire wasn't noticed quickly. Also explains why no-one was hurt.

Firemen said they think a power tool battery charger was left plugged, overheated and probably caused the fire.

Bebop said:
According to what I could find, the fire started about 30mn after the building closed and was empty. Explains why the fire wasn't noticed quickly. Also explains why no-one was hurt.

Firemen said they think a power tool battery charger was left plugged, overheated and probably caused the fire.

That's an incredible coincidence if that is really what it turns out to be. Going up in flames on the most holy week of the year for the Catholic Church does not seem like an accident to me.

redneckengineered said:
That's an incredible coincidence if that is really what it turns out to be. Going up in flames on the most holy week of the year for the Catholic Church does not seem like an accident to me.

Fairly odd timing......my cat and I were discussing this exact thing earlier

Attachments

• tin3.jpg
    tin3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 300
Beerj said:
Was Notre Dame a place that most French citizens visited often or was it mostly tourists and Catholics?

I'd say both. I'm not a religious man but the place was stunning and if you'd see it in person you'd want to take a walk inside too. Most french people felt this way.

That said tourists (religious tourism or not) were the bulk of the people visiting it.

It is remarkable all of the wars this building has survived, for more than 8 Centuries, and some accident takes it out in hours.

To be fair, it was pretty badly hurt during the revolution and was rebuilt already once.

These days it's hard for me to trust any reporting source. No matter what the topic.

All I can say is that it's pretty interesting that so many artifacts were gone, nobody was there to witness etc.

A location with so much history and there were zero cameras?? C'mon man.

I had 3 cameras watching my subs constantly during my home build.

It's a good thing too cuz one of the battery chargers got hot and started a fire in my kitchen. Super common I'm told. . . . .

Side note, bummer to see something like that disappear. A lot of history burned up.

Latest posts