• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

OHV Park ownership: Viable business or hobby?

patooyee said:
Its the only place you can ride and drive right up next to a rock mining operation, livestock, and oil drills. :)

Not so fast my friend, i went to the DR nationals in Bridgeport TX this fall, its a city owned OHV park on old quarry land, with a working quarry on one side, cattle ranch on the other two, and there were several working oil rigs in the park, pretty cool. I wish City or county gov would buy the GAP and open it back up as a public ohv park.

Not many folks are aware, but The GAP is in Macoon county. Not in Lee County. That county is tearing up some paved roads because they can't afford to even cough up their minor portion of the funding. So their taking some county roads back to dirt roads.

LandSpeeder said:
Not many folks are aware, but The GAP is in Macoon county. Not in Lee County. That county is tearing up some paved roads because they can't afford to even cough up their minor portion of the funding. So their taking some county roads back to dirt roads.

How is tearing up paved roads to go back to dirt cheaper than just leaving them alone?

patooyee said:
How is tearing up paved roads to go back to dirt cheaper than just leaving them alone?

Federal govt doesn't pay 100%. County has to pitch in if even just 10%... but when the county can't even pay that percentage, you do what you can. And when roads are in such disrepair, something has to give. Some of Macon County's pot holes are virtually sink holes due to pavement erosion.
Here's an old article on it that even mentions Alabama:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704913304575370950363737746

Yeah, city and counties are having a hard enough time keeping up roads. Opening a park could be a left ish move.

Back on topic I don't believe you can make a living with a park. You've gotta have supplemental income from other business. That $40k makes it hard to support one household much less two and as stated before that's with paid for land.

What if the park was to hold concerts/music festivals for camping and wheeling as well. There's one here in East Tennessee that does that. They seem to do ok. They get folks all weekend and pack it out. It's for atv's and sxs's

I'd have to pass. :flipoff1: I did bounce at an all black club when I was younger. Me and a few buddies did it because they paid us to have all the free drinks we could stand and make sure the monkeys didn't get out of hand. I have some pretty interesting stories from that place. They didn't mess with us though. Guess they figured we were crazy as hell to even be there. Anyway my papaw said anyone too lazy to work drives a taxi. Anyone too lazy to do that puts on a badge. No security fo me.

Halle is high yellow, and friggin' Hot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I considered the idea heavily of buying mountainside. After a few weeks of research and thinking and calling and getting quotes I realized it wasn't a great option for me. I think you need to own the land, have access to some construction equipment for maintenence and repairs, and live near the land to even consider it. Near the end of my research I had a long talk with the owner of what was River Rock about it. He said the worry drove him crazy. Worried about insurance, worrying about people getting hurt, people going crazy on night rides, people trespassing and getting hurt, he couldn't stand the idea of possibly getting everything taken from him because of it. He also said because he spent so much time on his park that he rarely got to go anywhere else and it burned him out real quick on wheeling. Just something to think about