• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinion on my gear setup

30th6

Does this look ok? How tight is to tighton backlash? I always run them tight for off-road only. I have about .03 now but everything seems to move smooth.

Attachments

• 20210305_135357.jpg
    20210305_135357.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 20210305_135412.jpg
    20210305_135412.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 307
Looks about perfect to me. Coast side is indicating that you should have a little more backlash but like you said, we already know that's a little tight anyway. Drive side looks about perfect.

looks a bit deep, I'd pull a couple thousandths from the pinion. See how your drive side mark is a straight line all the way across the bottom of the tooth? I like to see a bit of relief in it.

That will probably open your backlash up into spec too, without messing with the carrier

looks a bit deep, I'd pull a couple thousandths from the pinion. See how your drive side mark is a straight line all the way across the bottom of the tooth? I like to see a bit of relief in it.

That will probably open your backlash up into spec too, without messing with the carrier
X2 here.

I dont disagree with the other two guys that it will run just fine, but if it was set of gears i was doing I take a touch out.

Yeah I was thinking about it, and if was in a buggy, and I wasn't using setup bearings where I had to take it out again anyway, then I'd run it as is.

I always have to look at the yukon book I can never remember the patterns and what they mean. I always try to get mine in spec for what it's worth, but when my dad taught me how to do it he beat in my head that everything has to be perfect on gears.

The problem is that everyone's perfect is different and that some people will argue that the yukon book doesn't always display the best solution out there.

plus you'd be surprised how long a "bad" setup will run...

He had a friend in the 80's set some up for someone and they drove it on the street and the rear end locked up and flipped the vehicle almost killing them and ever since then he's been super anal about it. He about **** on my buggy when I was messing with the front end. Part of the gear is about .004 and other spots its like .015. He wasnt happy when I said screw it and slammed it back in.

I think one of the things that confuses people the most about setting up gears is that there is so much variance in what can equal a correct set up. I try to take each axle as an individual and look at all of the items combined to determine if it has achieved correct set up. You need pinion preload, backlash, drive pattern, coast pattern and carrier preload all within spec to be correct. IMO the bearing preloads and backlash are the most important, with the pattern the lesser requirement.

I didn't take a picture, but it was big and fat and about 10% biased toward the heel. Really nice. I wish they all patterned out that easy. I haven't done a new gear install in a while, but I used to do a lot of Toyota gears, and I've had some that wouldn't pattern for crap.

I have only done a couple of toyota axles. I don't know that I noticed them to be different than the others I have done. I did have a high pinion dana 60 pattern out with good backlash and preload on the first shot. Couldn't believe my luck.

Usually yotas are easy.
They were Motive brand gears circa 2006-7? I think they had a weird batch or something. When you had a good drive pattern the coast wouldn't pattern at all.

Latest posts