• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinions on motor warranty...

snoball

Bought a LQ9 from a vendor on Pirate about 8 months ago. The deal has been pretty smooth
till it was time to fire off the motor in my new buggy. I asked for a wiring diagram and some
other info which I never got, but really never had much concern as the guy always eventually
got back with me with answers. Problem started when we fired the engine, it had an issue with
oil pressure and engine locked up rite away. Motor was supposed to have been run and tested
before it was shipped etc. Called the guy as the engine should have a warranty, and he got back
with me confirming it did and he would get the process started. This was 4-24-13 and I expressed
how much I needed to get this done quick. After a couple of days having a tough time getting in
touch with the guy I bought another motor from Ricky Childress on here (super nice guy). How long
do these warranty deals normally take? He bought the engine from LKQ and said a LKQ rep would get
touch with me on 5-2. I have not heard a word since... Any opinions? Don't want to trash the guy
if this is normal process, but I am getting a little worried.

Hate to say it but Most of those engine warranty's are a joke.....i got 100% burned on a similar deal a few years ago on a remaned engine that was supposed to have a full 1 year warranty

Neal3000 said:
Hate to say it but Most of those engine warranty's are a joke.....i got 100% burned on a similar deal a few years ago on a remaned engine that was supposed to have a full 1 year warranty

Same here, I got burnt on a Jeep Liberty reman 3.7 motor w/ "12mo, 12,000mi" warranty. One cylinder had low compression before start up, and one of the lifters was installed backwards. I had the motor 3 weeks from time of pickup and time of 1st call.
Ultimately cut my losses and went to another place and got a good motor.

Makes expensive Jaspers very reasonable when they actually honor their ****. I know I ended up over Jasper replacement cost f-ing around with two motors.

Lkq is the worst. I had a problem with one of their remans and started a claim. They refused saying they didn't have the proper paper work. I figured I had one up on them since I had made copies of everything and sent them more copies of everything. They still refused for some bs reason. I haven't used them since.

I was afraid I'd here more of these stories. It's really the guy I bought the motor from who should make it rite though. LKQ is who he bought the motor from, my deal is with him, I don't care where he got it.

Never have I had a bad deal with LKQ ever. Bought over 30 engines from them. Might be why?? Either way Jasper is great with their warranty's. Call LKQ and get the ball rolling. Sucks your having issues.

bad80cj said:
Never have I had a bad deal with LKQ ever. Bought over 30 engines from them. Might be why?? Either way Jasper is great with their warranty's. Call LKQ and get the ball rolling. Sucks your having issues.

This, I have had good luck with LKQ used engines, but like anything else it helps to have a good relationship with one salesperson. Jasper is no doubt top notch and they have a 3 year 100K warranty honored at over 56,000 installers.

Something else to consider is the age of a used engine, no way in hell would I buy/install an older used engine, as in a 100K mile 8-9 year old engine. Something 3-4 years with maybe 40-50K, sure.

Latest posts