• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ordering a new trailer, need opinions!

My vote is GN and if you do, be sure to get the extended/raised neck. Being taller than their normal neck, you don't have to bend over near as far to keep from banging your head on the neck while crossing through when it's hooked to the truck.

My next one will be an enclosed gooseneck with living quarters and a large enough area to haul the buggy and an atv/ rzr , and also have room for tools/ supplies so it wont take me a few hours to load and unload everything each trip.
This will be my next big purchase in the next year or so.

if Jeff's had a bigger cargo area it would be sitting in the driveway !

I prefer gooseneck over bumper pull, we have one of each. My G/N is a deck over, I wish it was a low boy with an open deck. I've busted my butt on metal deck trailers more than once so I am not a big fan.

Just my 2c

Bunker Buster said:
My vote is GN and if you do, be sure to get the extended/raised neck. Being taller than their normal neck, you don't have to bend over near as far to keep from banging your head on the neck while crossing through when it's hooked to the truck.

This is another good point. We have a friend that bought one without realizing it wasn't going to be tall enough to clear his bed sides and him and another friend had to swap trailers on the way to a park. He ended up modifying the neck to where it was adjustable.

My dodge has a leveling kit and 37s and sits perfectly level with a load on it with room to spare for bed clearance. It also has plenty of adjustment left in the neck.

I went from a 32' Bumper pull enclosed to a 44' Gooseneck enclosed. Huge difference behind my old Dodge, but open trailers I cant really tell a difference. I have a 24' deck over pindle hitch trailer and it pulls about the same as my buddies 30' low deck Gooseneck. I think the biggest thing nowadays is the trucks, SRW vs DRW. Sold my 08 Ford 250 and bought a 2003 Dodge DRW, If I am hauling anything I will take the DRW all day unless its a bass boat or RZR something light of that nature.

My yard isn't laid out correctly for a trailer over 20'... Pain in the ass to back it up the driveway to hide it in the backyard. Wish a big gooseneck would fit.

smbroady82 said:
My next one will be an enclosed gooseneck with living quarters and a large enough area to haul the buggy and an atv/ rzr , and also have room for tools/ supplies so it wont take me a few hours to load and unload everything each trip.
This will be my next big purchase in the next year or so.

Where ya gonna stick a big bastard like that?!

And OP, I have busted my ass more than once on a metal deck, to the point I will never own another. I have also fallen through an open center...... 'course I could just be clumsy :****:

I have a 26' Kaufman bumper pull with 2, 7000 pound axles. It pulls great. I went bumper pull because I now have a cap on the truck plus I pull it behind my motorhome. There is no doubt a gooseneck pulls better but if you are limited like I am, don't worry about going the bumper pull route. This setup scaled exactly 14,000 pounds. 12,400 on the axles and 1,600 on the tongue.

I have had several... Had a 14' tag... Then a 30' pintle hitch tag backhoe trailer that weighed nearly 7000 lbs empty... Traded it for a 40' gooseneck and then went down to a 30' gooseneck.... I think my next one will be a 22-24' tag trailer... Low n wide w drive over fenders...

I haven't decided on steel or wood deck... Steel does get slick and even dry, other metal stuff slides around on it easier and has to be secures better...
OTOH wood rots and absorbs fluids where steel just needs repainted once in a while...

I'll likely end up with an open center steel trailer n set it up so I can drop 2x8's in the center when needed.

I also think folding outriggers on the sides would be worth while for the occasional wide load.

Wood decks are fine. I had one that had about 1/2 gaps in between wood. I liked it everything washed down the gaps.

As far as the enclosed trailer goes. I got a 36 gooseneck that fits my rig and rhino. It is by far the best thing I've done. Makes life so much better. I will have to put a "lift kit" on it. It pulls nose high and drags ass end a lot. But it has torsion axles so it's no big deal. Just cut welds. Add 4 inch tube and reweld.

Broadly over here talkin smack on my custom drive over fender ramps, but I seen you eyeballing my junk up. :flipoff1:

Received some prices today. I'm leaning towards the gooseneck, with metal floor. Thanks for the feedback guys!!

1) 102x22 Bumper pull, 7000# axles- $5250. With metal floor $6050

2) 102x24 Gooseneck, 6" taller riser, 7000# axles, comes with toolbox & spare tire- $6100. With metal floor $6900

Just remember you all but lose your bed space w a goose...

It's NICE to have that space to pile in stuff that doesn't need tie downs.

May not matter much to ya but jus something to consider.

That bumper pull is pretty expensive, i bought a brand new 20ft steel deck with removable fenders with 10000lb axles with upgraded tires for 3200 bucks last year and its a real nice trailer. Suretrac is brand name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Ordering a new trailer, need opinions!

Zjman said:
That bumper pull is pretty expensive, i bought a brand new 20ft steel deck with removable fenders with 10000lb axles with upgraded tires for 3200 bucks last year and its a real nice trailer. Suretrac is brand name

I'd venture to say yours has 2 5000lb 6 lug axles for that price.

10000 lb axles are gonna be dual wheel oil bath hubs...

TBItoy said:
I'd venture to say yours has 2 5000lb 6 lug axles for that price.

10000 lb axles are gonna be dual wheel oil bath hubs...
Yes you are correct sir but hes got two 3500lb axles so it seems steep to me and i also got a spare and heavy duty jack

I got a 20' Big Tex deck over bumper pull and love it. Pulls great and Big Tex trailers are very well thought out. They seem to put very nice heavy duty components on them.

truckbroke said:
I got a 20' Big Tex deck over bumper pull and love it. Pulls great and Big Tex trailers are very well thought out. They seem to put very nice heavy duty components on them.

I agree that Big Tex trailers are very well made. This one is an 07 and has been pulled all over the country with very heavy loads on it.

Re: Re: Ordering a new trailer, need opinions!

Zjman said:
Yes you are correct sir but hes got two 3500lb axles so it seems steep to me and i also got a spare and heavy duty jack

No that trailer he's got quoted has 2 7000lb 8 lug axles

I think it's just semantics. You have a 10k gvw trailer. He's looking at a 14k gvw trailer

Eddyj said:
Broadly over here talkin smack on my custom drive over fender ramps, but I seen you eyeballing my junk up. :flipoff1:

Just a little jealous that's all ;)

BigBoy70 said:
Where ya gonna stick a big bastard like that?!

Oh you know, the inlaws have 50 or so acres, plenty of room to stick a trailer !

I wouldn't want anything much bigger than the 25 footer for over here. Stupid subdivisions..