• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Paint experts HELP!!!

At my work we build roll up doors for trailers and box trucks, and we're getting bubbles in our paint. It's 3/4" particleboard from Diamond. We sand, we use a prep-wipe, and we spray. This problem just started a couple months ago and nothing has changed in our process. Please help!
3cec5562e05455c71393fc5903883efc.jpg
a752f400800cb6c5b0180ca6aad93745.jpg
d25adb7d548989488b92b16d6b789647.jpg
f38214761855abef4339c23247ce5f8a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

muddinmetal said:
Are there any new chemicals being used anywhere in the shop? Clean up departments, crews, adhesives, anything you can think of?

That was going to be my question also, Aerosol's especially something containing silicon....

We've gone over that in our heads 1000 times. Bays 9 and 10 are kinda in their own "wing" of the building. Bay 9 a guy works on trailers, but it doesn't explain how that guy can take a day off, we sand and prep-wipe a panel (so clean slate, right?), and the panel still bubbles. I'm wondering if the paint company didn't switch up the chemical composition of the paint?

5BrothersFabrication said:
Also something that I've wondered. Like maybe Diamond switched their adhesive or sealer supplier.

Are you under some contract to use that environmentally safe water based paint. Can you go back to solvent based?

This is a long shot but, I've heard a story from a body shop having paint problems like this. Paint rep found that one of the prep guys deodorant was causing it. White, solid kind of deodorant. The flakes were falling out of his shirt on to surfaces waiting for paint.

get a one of the paint manufacture reps. out there. paint a sample they can take back to their lab for analysis. most solvent paints you can buy a "fish eye eliminator"

Cask16 said:
This is a long shot but, I've heard a story from a body shop having paint problems like this. Paint rep found that one of the prep guys deodorant was causing it. White, solid kind of deodorant. The flakes were falling out of his shirt on to surfaces waiting for paint.

Well, I had the parts guy prep and spray one, I prepped and sprayed one, same ****.

84mallcrawl said:
get a one of the paint manufacture reps. out there. paint a sample they can take back to their lab for analysis. most solvent paints you can buy a "fish eye eliminator"

We had the PPG guy here last week, suggested we up the prepping on it. But other than a couple calendar months and a ~10° temp drop, nothing has changed from back when the paint would lay perfectly.

I got curious a little while ago, sprayed an aluminum panel, laid perfect. Sprayed a 2x4, it bubbles. Maybe it just doesn't like wood?

It looks like you paint in an open area and this may not have anything to do with it. We take care of some large manufacturing plants, and in their paint areas the temp/humidity requirements are very strict. Something like 71-71 deg and 50-52% RH. I do know that the humidity is the most important thing they monitor. If the area you paint in or store the paint in isn't conditioned, throw this theory in the trash and carry on.

I work at the paint dept of the plant I'm in.

After showing this to our paint expert he had these comments :

1) This is not the machine adapted to spray this kind of paint. It's made to spray indoors paint with thinner particles.
2) There is no filter to filter the paint before entering the machine
3) Those bubbles look like water bubbles. He thinks there is a big probability they come from the compressed air you use. He suggests installing a water separator before the machine.

Bebop said:
I work at the paint dept of the plant I'm in.

After showing this to our paint expert he had these comments :

1) This is not the machine adapted to spray this kind of paint. It's made to spray indoors paint with thinner particles.
2) There is no filter to filter the paint before entering the machine
3) Those bubbles look like water bubbles. He thinks there is a big probability they come from the compressed air you use. He suggests installing a water separator before the machine.

Isnt that a electrict airless sprayer tho?

IDK bud, IDK jack about paint.

I just wrote down what the paint expert told me. Otherwise I'd have kept my mouth shut as the only "painting" I've ever done is back rattle can touch ups...

Y'all crack me up your way overthinking this. It is an electric sprayer there's no compressed air whatsoever you've got moisture either in the paint or the paint is pulling moisture from the wood your spraying. I would bet you money it's moisture in the wood with A lot of out now is ****. Try to find somebody that has some old wood thats been kept in the dry and not around any moisture spray that and get back with me