• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Parking Brake for 14 Bolt Disc Brake Setup?

Trailabite

Anyone using a spot caliper as a parking brake? Most of the club rules out here in SoCal require some sort of parking brake and these look like a bolt on.

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 224
I was reaearching this at one point and found that the ford Taurus rear disc setup has a nice caliper with a cable operated e brake.

If you're using a 14 bolt, why not a late model 2500hd housing with the stock disc/ebrake setup? I know it's heavy but it's tough

Is that a requirement only for autos or do they make manual rigs have one also? I am just planning on leaving my sm465 in granny gear when I park it and forgoing the ebrake. I could even put the doubler in lo-lo if I wanted to get carried away with it. Seems like that would be sufficient, no?

What about using the current disk brake axles. They would have a cable actuated parking brake in the rotor hat as well.

Truck-oholic - they don't differentiate between the two.

The axle is already built and underneath my jeep and it was cut and narrowed to fit so I'm not looking to swap out or change the axle.

The Micro Lock is acceptable and maybe the best choice. The spot caliper looked like a good option because there wouldn't be to much fabrication to make it work. I just don't know if they are strong enough.

RustyC - Maybe I'm missing your point. That's what I think the spot caliper does, it bolts on the opposite side of the normal brake caliper, but it does grab the rotor when engaged.

Trailabite said:
RustyC - Maybe I'm missing your point. That's what I think the spot caliper does, it bolts on the opposite side of the normal brake caliper, but it does grab the rotor when engaged.
He means a later model axle that came with disks and a parking brake.

I have not seen anyone do it or if it can be done but what about swapping the current model oem brakes to your axle being it is narrowed. Off the shelf parts only fab work would be the handle or pedal to operate the p brake.