• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Partially Committed Racing's buggy #004 build

slravenel

So a good friend and I have built 2 of these buggies already (and the #001 is a little toyota buggy). The 2nd two are basically identical save from a few cosmetic changes and the width of the chassis. Mine (the red one) is 48" wide at the cowl and 50" wide at the B pillar - 6.0, 4L60e, Atlas, 60/14b, 42 treps, 112". The silver one is 52" all the way through - 5.3, TH350, Atlas, 60/60, 39 reds, 110". They were started a few years ago and finished about a year ago. They both work pretty well and we have been super happy with them - even if the learning curve for driving them was quite a bit different than our old (also similar) 4.3 V6 short wheelbase cone dodger style buggies!

n3nB8Q7.jpg

UEd5Ivz.jpg

originally on 40s:

Y1TCDRc.jpg

then on 42s:

5sPaUUm.jpg

In any case, not too long after we got these running and wheeling, we had a guy from our wheeling group ask if we would be interested in building him one. At first we were a bit timid as we hadn't ever really given much thought to building for other people; but decided if we were, he was going to be a good one to work with as he was pretty much giving us a blank slate. He wanted a copy of mine, except 54" wide throughout and 115" wheelbase for a little extra trail partying. After discussions and agreements we got going on this build. Originally it was going to be just a chassis, but the stars aligned in both directions and we are going to take it pretty far - heavy roller, interior, skins, panels, good bit of accessories mounted in. It will be close to powdercoat when we are done with it.

We are using .188 wall tubing in all the critical spots - belly, rockers, A B and C pillars and along the roof line. The sliders are .250 wall. The rest is .120 in various sizes. It will be a JK fiberglass body; so it will match mine pretty damn closely.

We have been building for a bit, so I will catch everyone up with pictures:

Re: Partially Committed Racing Buggy #004 build

Got started with the main section:

NSLmxRv.jpg

pretty quickly got to this point since its pretty easy being able to measure off of a buggy sitting right next to you to confirm everything:

O7LhIX6.jpg

all the slugged sections are plug welded and slugged with 1.5 .250 wall material.

put the cowl up to make sure everything was peachy:

RapsoVB.jpg

then got the rear section in and rolled it outside for some perspective:

srBWalt.jpg

DHA9s73.jpg

then we started adding in some filler tubes.

2nd b pillar, the wing bars, door bars, roof bars, X supports, some gusseting, etc

8UeRJ0C.jpg

4gHvBZD.jpg

D8P8iFD.jpg

bix7nxW.jpg

And then we were ready for parts to be dropped off so we could start putting in the pieces!

Parts got dropped off and we started plugging away.

Mild build 6.0, a TH400, a race case Atlas, reused 60 and 14bolt from his old jeep, Fox coilovers, Raceline Wheels, 43" SX, and a boatload of WOD and ruffstuff parts. It is truly amazing how much "buggy kit" stuff there is nowadays and it really has made building buggies a much easier and quick process!

Got things dropped in pretty easily and bolted/tacked into place:

G5Hod9x.jpg

sgYYd71.jpg

Then started laying out link locations. Ignore the temporary long standoff tube there...that will be shortened down and tied in as we go forward.

abYXvvg.jpg

Rg8fesS.jpg

And that brings us up to current. We have been keeping track of hours and all in this one just out of curiosity but it is moving shockingly fast this go around (knock on wood!) We have about 5 Saturdays in it at this point.

This weekend we should be able to measure for links and get them on order, then move on to shock mounting and get this thing sitting on its own weight soon!

Thanks guys!

They do have a decent bit of Twisted Customs flair in them. My friends original V6 buggy was a clone of a TC chassis that he built. And we took ideas and measurements from that one, from my old one, and a couple other buggies that we liked...added in our own changes that we felt we wanted...and went to town. They are simple, there isnt a whole lot of extra stuff in them...but they are also super comfortable and dont waste and space. I feel happy with the fact that I was able to stuff alot of "big buggy" parts into a 48/50" chassis and still have room for two 6ft+ 200lbs+ guys to ride in there without feeling cramped.

This new one will be substantially bigger throughout and will be SUPER comfortable but at the same time be compact where it matters. He should see about 8-10" uptravel capabilities on either end with a 19-20" belly on 43s.

What is your overall height on those 2 you built? The pics look like they are pretty short....may be deceiving. I love the style of these rigs.

Where's the like button?? You sir are doing a awesome job! I'm not a buggy guy at all and your nailing the lines on these things. Are you using bend tech to speed up the process for knocking these out a bit faster? Keep up the good work.

whiskeymakin said:
What is your overall height on those 2 you built? The pics look like they are pretty short....may be deceiving. I love the style of these rigs.

They are definitely short. 18" belly on both of them (in the barn picture though the red one is like a 20" belly but it was lowered down after that shakedown ride). They are both right at 72" tall at ride height.

sledneck said:
Where's the like button?? You sir are doing a awesome job! I'm not a buggy guy at all and your nailing the lines on these things. Are you using bend tech to speed up the process for knocking these out a bit faster? Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys!

We used bendtech to design the original one and then have just kinda tweaked it. We still refer back to it for cut lengths and quick reference bend locations. But once the initial main bends are done we don't really use it all that much. Since this one is identical to mine only wider, we have been referencing that moreso on his one. Bendtech is definitely a life saver though on the complex multi plane bends!

booyang

Yea probably should have clarified that...I have no ability or space to start a #005 until this one is done. This isn't my full time job...just hobby work on the side!

Latest posts