• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

TacomaJD said:
You aren't gonna leave it open and just do liner panels? Most liner panels are 8' tall, you can easily screw 2x4' into them and hang shelving or whatever else you need to hang. My buddy screwed in a bunch of vertical 2x4 pieces to hang all his Alabama pictures on. Row Tahde.....haha.

bd04b9d8bdb4fce7b19e143f25698efe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That could have been excused better...why not just do the whole wall instead of unfinished AND some random wood studs onto of it?

30x30 20' ceilings

Attachments

• 2541AB07-A412-4742-8BF4-2EBD9CC0EE32.jpeg
    2541AB07-A412-4742-8BF4-2EBD9CC0EE32.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 137
  • B6AF1BF8-3561-497F-BC4F-DB3295E52D0A.jpeg
    B6AF1BF8-3561-497F-BC4F-DB3295E52D0A.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 136
JRoach...nice setup. I like the pace between the vehicles too. I really wish the guy that built my shop and done so in a way that I could have opened up the ceiling to get enough height for a lift. Instead he built it to be a game room so it's got normal height ceilings with can lights...which are also useless in a shop.

Heat.......................what are y'all doing for heat in your shops. Leaning towards propane heater something like:

41utiKJcbsL.jpg

BUT I got an electric heater from a buddy for FREE!!!! Just concerned about electric bill.........

daytonHeater.jpg

Suggestions?

I have a wood stove, coal stove, top hat propane heater.............I don't like being cold. ;D

The wood stove will heat the place up to 70+ on the coldest day.
The coal stove maybe 60 degree on 20 degree day.
The top hat if I'm only going to to be in there an hour or so.

The radiant heater ( First pict ) works good for spot heating. It will only heat your body, not the air around you.

Re:

Wood stove ftw! One of these days when I get one built, I plan on having a wood stove for the longer stays in the shop and using my propane tank top heater for spot warmth those times I won't be in there long enough to justify building a fire in the stove. I plan to have a man cave type area with tv, pool table, and various furniture in the back corner, so a wood stove near that area will be nice and keep the whole shop warm too.

Just do a duct less mini split and have heating and cooling with practically no power bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOVI FED COUPE said:
Just do a duct less mini split and have heating and cooling with practically no power bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explain? ???

I installed a Modine Hot Dawg a couple years ago, and I like it so far. It keeps my shop toasty! I went with propane because I didn't want to bury a gas lne between he house and shop.

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

TacomaJD said:
Probably a rich people solution, buy a $4k unit and voila, heat and a/c....haha

Or $1500 https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuctlessAire-Energy-Star-24-000-BTU-2-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-Variable-Speed-Inverter-220V-60Hz-DA2421-H2/300696785 These look like a great option. Wood stoves are out for me, I don't want to lose the floor space associated with it. Right now I've been using a torpedo heater, turn it on, knock the chill off and get to work. Once I'm working I'll turn the thermostat on the heater down to 55-60 and will be good.

mdo817 said:
Explain? ???

These are a great solution for a shop. You can buy these a lot cheaper than you think. Jduck is about right. About $1500 or so for the indoor, outdoor and a the lineset needed to connect them. They are super efficient is why I said practically no power bill. If you or Jduck are interested let me know...I stock them here at work.

whiskeymakin said:
I got quoted 6 grand for a mini split system in my shop.....no thanks

Depending how big your shop is, and how many indoor heads they were quoting it can get expensive. For those that dont know you can have one outdoor unit runnin up to 8 indoor heads to heat/cool different parts of a home, shop, or retail space.

Jduck said:
Wood stoves are out for me, I don't want to lose the floor space associated with it. Right now I've been using a torpedo heater, turn it on, knock the chill off and get to work. Once I'm working I'll turn the thermostat on the heater down to 55-60 and will be good.

I'm in the same situation. 30x30 with small office 8x10 inside. Floor space is at a premium. I need something I can hand from the ceiling. I also want to keep temperature 35-40 degrees during the winter. I'll probably rock a torpedo heater for the time being until I can figure out something. Propane sounds good but more up front cost, tank, fill cost, heater itself. Electric may be less up front and cost spread out per month.

Keep in mind, above considering your shop square footage....consider the height, to calculate cubic feet of conditioned space. For an office like environment, I usually assume 3,000 cubic feet per TON. That will be super conservative for our conversation, shops can probably manage with twice that and still remain comfortable. I am not a mechanical engineer tho..

NOVI FED - For Wizzo's 30x30, how many TON's would you assume to maintain 55 degrees @ 15degrees outdoor air temp? Assuming a 10' ceiling, with R11 insulated walls.

bbtank45 said:
Keep in mind, above considering your shop square footage....consider the height, to calculate cubic feet of conditioned space. For an office like environment, I usually assume 3,000 cubic feet per TON. That will be super conservative for our conversation, shops can probably manage with twice that and still remain comfortable. I am not a mechanical engineer tho..

NOVI FED - For Wizzo's 30x30, how many TON's would you assume to maintain 55 degrees @ 15degrees outdoor air temp? Assuming a 10' ceiling, with R11 insulated walls.

Shop has 12' walls and open ceiling. Office is fully closed in with insulation. Shop is insulated as well.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Mine is a 25x60 with 16 foot ceilings.
I heat with a torpedo to knock the chill down before turning on an old mobile home electric furnace.
Warms it up to the 60* mark pretty easily and cheap too