• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

NOVI FED COUPE said:
Depending how big your shop is, and how many indoor heads they were quoting it can get expensive. For those that dont know you can have one outdoor unit runnin up to 8 indoor heads to heat/cool different parts of a home, shop, or retail space.

It was for 2 heads I'm sure they quoted it for an optimal setup. I had a hole framed in and a pad out back for a unit, once I find some more money!
Bout 2000 sq ft. 12 foot ceilings on half and other half goes up higher

Re: Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

Jduck said:
Or $1500 https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuctlessAire-Energy-Star-24-000-BTU-2-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-Variable-Speed-Inverter-220V-60Hz-DA2421-H2/300696785 These look like a great option. Wood stoves are out for me, I don€™t want to lose the floor space associated with it. Right now I€™ve been using a torpedo heater, turn it on, knock the chill off and get to work. Once I€™m working I€™ll turn the thermostat on the heater down to 55-60 and will be good.
Not trashing this idea, would be interested if the cost is worth it. But will 24k btu will heat a whole shop? Assuming a minimum of 30x30x10? Sounds like it would barely make a dent in it during cold month. Maybe I am just a skeptic because it's not something I've heard of people doing much. I know the heating type is different, but I know how much (or how little) heat a 20k-30k btu blue flame wall heater puts out and it wouldn't do much in a 900+ sq ft shop, especially if walls were tall, during sub 30 degree weather. Striving for 50 degrees inside shop during winter with a $1500 unit plus power bill expenses sounds like a low shot? Had a couple buddies with bigger insulated metal buildings and one wood stove, and it will easily get hot enough to need to go crack the door open to cool it off a little inside, during dead winter. Granted a good wood stove and this split unit costs about the same, and you have to keep wood on hand for a stove vs flicking a switch on a split unit. Hmm....I like convenience, but if I'm gonna spend $1500 for a heat source, I'd want it to be damn good at what it does.

Now if more units, or bigger units are needed to heat sufficiently, then we're back to the rich people solution as I mentioned earlier lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bbtank45 said:
Keep in mind, above considering your shop square footage....consider the height, to calculate cubic feet of conditioned space. For an office like environment, I usually assume 3,000 cubic feet per TON. That will be super conservative for our conversation, shops can probably manage with twice that and still remain comfortable. I am not a mechanical engineer tho..

NOVI FED - For Wizzo's 30x30, how many TON's would you assume to maintain 55 degrees @ 15degrees outdoor air temp? Assuming a 10' ceiling, with R11 insulated walls.

I would use 400-500 sq ft per ton. We use 600 sq ft per ton on an average home and that is based off keeping the home at 75* in summer and 67-68* design conditions for winter. So with that being said I would put in a 2 ton mini split. Also you arent asking for 70*...you are asking for it to hold 55*. I think you would be surprised at how well it does.

TacomaJD said:
Not trashing this idea, would be interested if the cost is worth it. But will 24k btu will heat a whole shop? Assuming a minimum of 30x30x10? Sounds like it would barely make a dent in it during cold month. Maybe I am just a skeptic because it's not something I've heard of people doing much. I know the heating type is different, but I know how much (or how little) heat a 20k-30k btu blue flame wall heater puts out and it wouldn't do much in a 900+ sq ft shop, especially if walls were tall, during sub 30 degree weather. Striving for 50 degrees inside shop during winter with a $1500 unit plus power bill expenses sounds like a low shot? Had a couple buddies with bigger insulated metal buildings and one wood stove, and it will easily get hot enough to need to go crack the door open to cool it off a little inside, during dead winter. Granted a good wood stove and this split unit costs about the same, and you have to keep wood on hand for a stove vs flicking a switch on a split unit. Hmm....I like convenience, but if I'm gonna spend $1500 for a heat source, I'd want it to be damn good at what it does.

Now if more units, or bigger units are needed to heat sufficiently, then we're back to the rich people solution as I mentioned earlier lol.

I would recommend you read up on it. Mini splits are super popular every where else in the world as the main source for heating/cooling of a home or business. In the last 3 years its grown here by 100%. I sell a ton of them every month to where a few years ago you didnt see too many of them. They work excellent and are super efficient. Plus in the summer as opposed to a wood heater you have cooling also.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

NOVI FED COUPE said:
I would recommend you read up on it. Mini splits are super popular every where else in the world as the main source for heating/cooling of a home or business. In the last 3 years its grown here by 100%. I sell a ton of them every month to where a few years ago you didnt see too many of them. They work excellent and are super efficient. Plus in the summer as opposed to a wood heater you have cooling also.
Do most use elec strip backup heat? The local habitat homes use mini splits in most of their houses they mentioned them being more efficient and not needing backup heat sources.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

paradisepwoffrd said:
Do most use elec strip backup heat? The local habitat homes use mini splits in most of their houses they mentioned them being more efficient and not needing backup heat sources.

No these are heat pump systems, but do not use a "back up heat" or "emergency strips" like normal heat pump systems do. Its because they have inverter compressors in them which allow them to put out the systems optimal heat all the way down to -5* on a lot of systems now. A typical heat pump split system you would find on a house only puts out optimal heat to about 38* then relied on emergency strips to heat if its much colder than that.

NOVI FED COUPE said:

Do you have a link or anything on the specific ones you sell? Or is the link somebody posted earlier in the thread for the $1500 one the same exact thing as what you are talking about?

TacomaJD said:
Do you have a link or anything on the specific ones you sell? Or is the link somebody posted earlier in the thread for the $1500 one the same exact thing as what you are talking about?

Right now my company sells Gree and LG. You can go to greecomfort.com and look at their website.

ForMud said:
The first 8' I used OSB board cause it's harder to knock a hole in and easier to hang things on. The rest of the way up and the ceiling I used drywall.

Do you have any pics? I just started mine Thursday night with OSB and thought about the drywall at the top and figured No one else had done it. I'm curious how yours turned out.

rpf500 said:
Do you have any pics? I just started mine Thursday night with OSB and thought about the drywall at the top and figured No one else had done it. I'm curious how yours turned out.

I ran a 1" x 6" right where the two joined to clean it up. So far it's been holding up fine. The biggest problem I had was with drywall install......It's a lot of work to finish it and I suck at it. Looking back I should have paid someone to do it.

NOVI FED COUPE said:
Right now my company sells Gree and LG. You can go to greecomfort.com and look at their website.

Ive had several Mitsubishi units installed in our industrial properties. Generally for IT rooms, or when im expanding an existing office. Dont know much about GREE, but i know the LG's and Mitsubishi's are top of the line.

bbtank45 said:
Ive had several Mitsubishi units installed in our industrial properties. Generally for IT rooms, or when im expanding an existing office. Dont know much about GREE, but i know the LG's and Mitsubishi's are top of the line.

Gree is the largest manufacturer of mini splits in the world. They make Trane and Carrier's factory mini splits and just put the Trane or Carrier logo on them. I've actually had more warranty issues out of the LG than I have Gree. Mitsubishi is a great product...just expensive! The company I work for will be the representative for Mitsubishi in GA starting 2018. I am actually going to the Mitsubishi plant this coming Monday to get us ready for 2018.

Peg board solution on liner panels in local jiffy lube. Couldn't get a better pic without them seeing me and thinking I was an idiot for taking a picture of a wall haha.

cf0dbf6d1c7a73274af27bce6fee9ff4.jpg

@formud I just sent you a PM about sealants.

Need to make a decision on that sometime soon and you seem to know what you are talking about :dblthumb: