• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

NOVI FED COUPE

I am getting ready to build a shop at my house and I have noticed a few others on the board are also. I havent seen one of these threads. Post up pics, sizes, and tips or things you would do different if you could start over.

I don't know if everybody feels the same way about it as I do but everybody I know could use a bigger shop. If you think you can get by with a 30 x 30 build a 50 x 50 with lean-tos on both sides lol!!!!

Shop needs

100' x 100, no scratch that 500' x 500'

no posts

plenty of flat surfaces to fill up.

floor drains

multiple lifts

internet access

pull ring in floor to pull my broke **** in with a winch!

stripper pole mounted close to wall to keep the fat chicks off.

full bath with shower

doors tall and wide enough for rig on trailer.

pass-through RV parking.

I live in a pole barn/ shop house. Total size is 42x60. Half house, half shop.
Here are some pics from construction. Now it has a full front porch w/ green roof.
pic from NE side:
070208_0945.jpg

Pic from SE side:
062708_1556.jpg

There is a full bathroom in the shop (shower, sink, toilet) plus a big double sink top and fridge on the outside of the bathroom. Really nice to be able to clean up before going in the house.

As you can see from pics above, there is a 16' wide door on the east wall, and 12' wide on the south wall. It's awesome in the summer to open both doors and let the breeze blow through. Also, you can pull broke rigs in the shop and drive out the other side.

Defininitely build a drive through shop. Either straight drive through, or cornered like mine. Yes, you give up a little wall space for storage, but it keeps you from filling up that space, so you've always got a spot to work.

I'm about to build another 42x42 (or close to that size) for storage. Gonna do 3 bays, 2 cars deep. Because I need covered storage to park my buggy, race truck, boat, mower, etc.

Oh yeah, and do your measurements in mulitples of 3' if you are using metal, because metal covers 3'. It costs the same to metal a 42'x42' as a 40'x40', and you get 164 more square feet. Also, square buildings have more square footage per perimeter distance, so a square building is the most economical (usually).

Tips. Lots of plugs, even some drop down ones from ceiling. Air line hook ups in several spots. Big laundry sink for washi g greasy hands. Good lighting. Lots of shelves. Bolt bin. TV and couch. Fridge. The list can go on and on.

TBItoy said:
Here are some pics from construction. Now it has a full front porch w/ green roof.
pic from NE side:
070208_0945.jpg

Pic from SE side:
062708_1556.jpg

There is a full bathroom in the shop (shower, sink, toilet) plus a big double sink top and fridge on the outside of the bathroom. Really nice to be able to clean up before going in the house.

As you can see from pics above, there is a 16' wide door on the east wall, and 12' wide on the south wall. It's awesome in the summer to open both doors and let the breeze blow through. Also, you can pull broke rigs in the shop and drive out the other side.

Defininitely build a drive through shop. Either straight drive through, or cornered like mine. Yes, you give up a little wall space for storage, but it keeps you from filling up that space, so you've always got a spot to work.

I'm about to build another 42x42 (or close to that size) for storage. Gonna do 3 bays, 2 cars deep. Because I need covered storage to park my buggy, race truck, boat, mower, etc.

Oh yeah, and do your measurements in mulitples of 3' if you are using metal, because metal covers 3'. It costs the same to metal a 42'x42' as a 40'x40', and you get 164 more square feet. Also, square buildings have more square footage per perimeter distance, so a square building is the most economical (usually).

You are a pimp. I would LOVE to live in something like that (but bigger) but my wife would leave me.

IM ABOUT TO TRY TO HAVE ONE BUILT AT MY HOUSE. I LIVE IN A SUBDIVISION THAT HAS A BUNCH OF RESTRICTIONS SO I HAVE TO BUILD A ALL BRICK SAME ROOF PITCH AS MY HOUSE. ITS GONNA BE REAL EXPENSIVE. I BASICLLY JUST NEED A PLACE TO PARK MY JEEP AND A COUPLE OF FOUR WHEELERS. IM NOT REALLY GONNA BE DOING A LOT OF REBUILDS OR REALLY EXTENSIVE REPAIRS, JUST BASIC STUFF. IM HAVING A HARD TIME ON DECIDING ON WHAT SIZE TO BUILD. IM LEANING TOWARDS 16X24 ,OR MAYBE 20X24 JUST TO KEEP COST DOWN. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

Build at lest double what you think you need......or as much as you can afford!!

Here is a picture of us adding on to my 20 x 20 work shop.

shop2.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

I added on 10 feet thinking that was more than enough about 10 years ago before I moved to Houston. Now that i'm back I can't even fit all my stuff in there much less work on anything. Sucks having to pull out the buggy and the four wheeler to get at the laawn mower. And I can't even think about using my mill for anything but a work bench till I get some more room.

If I had it to do over again i'd have just build a true work shop and used the smaller building for storage.......might still happen.

BUILD IT BIGGER THAN YOU CAN EVEN DREAM OF USING

As far as tips:

Insulate it
A/C
14' eve height Min
A lift if you are doing ANY auto work
Plan an area to put your compressor in OUTSDIE the work area
Lean to's around the whole building. They are handy for working on projects that won't fit inside or that are dirty or hanging out under or millions of other things. You need them
IMO it's worth having it drawn up and place all your junk inside before it's built. that way you can see if you are building the right size. If it doesn't look empty it's too small.

Mine is a 24 wide X 36 deep with a side addition of 12 by 20 for a tool and compressor room. I have central heat and A/C with cable TV, phone, wireless internet, fridge, alum. air lines plumbed throughout. I have wished a million times that I would have installed drive through doors that were 12' wide and made a much taller roof. My next shop will be a 60 x60 with a tall enough roof to develop storm clouds inside! not really that tall, but darn close to it.

Oh wait, you have turned a wrench in mine.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 315
Thanks for starting this thread, I'm sure lots of good ideas and info will follow! I'm building a small one beside my house, 20x24 with 10' ceilings. Only one rollup door 10 wide and 8 tall. Can't wait til it's done! My mind has gone crazy with different odd and end ideas for it. I'm in no rush, so I'll have time to do it right so I'll be satisfied...even if it's just a small one. I'm 25 yrs old, single, with no kids...I own a small house and won't live in it forever so no use in building the ultimate shop just yet...need to find a good female with good job or loaded parents...either one will work. Then I'll build the ultimate shop :flipoff1:

TBItoy said:
pic from NE side:
070208_0945.jpg

Pic from SE side:
062708_1556.jpg

That is a goal of mines right there! Thanks for the visual of it!

I'm about to get a place here in Nashville ( inside the city :gay:) and will probably have to build a garage just to fit my megacab and jeep. I would love to build a 100x60 shop but building on a little over an acre limits me. Planning on a 30x40 or 30x30 with at-least 14 ft ceilings so I can add a lift and fit the wakeboard boat.

Latest posts