• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PJ Trailers

redneckengineered said:
Can someone recommend to me a good PJ Trailers dealer? I need to deal with someone knowledgeable and willing to make some custom modifications. Willing to drive a few hours if I have to. Here is the unit I'm looking at...

http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/b8-8-inch-channel-super-wide

Does it have to be a PJ trailer? It looks a lot like a Lawrimore and I had them build mine from scratch. Just asking. :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Does it have to be a PJ trailer? It looks a lot like a Lawrimore and I had them build mine from scratch. Just asking. :dunno:

Ha, Lawrimore is one of the ones quoting me. That's what I have now and love it. Also getting a quote from Kaufman. Those quote factory direct though. PJ will only go through a dealer.

c4e1f3fe94ba9e6b149d77ccc35152bd.jpg

When I was looking at trailers, it was between PJ and load trail. Basically the same trailer, read some issues about pjs powder coat. So, I custom ordered this from Chattanooga trailer and rental. Had the best price and shortest lead time. I've had a bunch of different brand trailers, this is the best built by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasBlade said:
c4e1f3fe94ba9e6b149d77ccc35152bd.jpg

When I was looking at trailers, it was between PJ and load trail. Basically the same trailer, read some issues about pjs powder coat. So, I custom ordered this from Chattanooga trailer and rental. Had the best price and shortest lead time. I've had a bunch of different brand trailers, this is the best built by far.

Interesting. They're local to me. Thanks

redneckengineered said:
Ha, Lawrimore is one of the ones quoting me. That's what I have now and love it. Also getting a quote from Kaufman. Those quote factory direct though. PJ will only go through a dealer.

I've had a 20' Lawrimore xtra wide buggy trailer, and a 34' bumper pull Kaufman (open center, diamond tread fenders, not wide deck). No issues with either of them that was trailer mfg related.

The 34' needed heavier rated tires for hauling 2 rigs long distances through the mountains, but I knew that when I bought it.

The next trailer I buy will be a buggy wide deck ~28'-30'. Probably bumper pull, not sure.

Interested to see what you decide on.

I'd stay away from pj's, I bought one a few years ago. They have the axles placed so far back you can barely pull it unloaded, it vibrates and bounces so much. I called talked to them they blamed my 4x4 1 ton dually not being a big enough truck. I talked to a guy that has the same trailer but his was 10 years older and guess what.. his axles were a foot farther forward and he had no complaints about empty pulling.this is a 18k 24' trailer though. They also don't age worth a ****, I have a 16 footer I bought new in 1996 it looks age wise newer than my 4 year old pj.

TBItoy said:
I've had a 20' Lawrimore xtra wide buggy trailer, and a 34' bumper pull Kaufman (open center, diamond tread fenders, not wide deck). No issues with either of them that was trailer mfg related.

The 34' needed heavier rated tires for hauling 2 rigs long distances through the mountains, but I knew that when I bought it.

The next trailer I buy will be a buggy wide deck ~28'-30'. Probably bumper pull, not sure.

Interested to see what you decide on.

I'm pretty well sold on the "buggy" style wide deck with drive over fenders. And I prefer bumper pull because I use a camper top on my truck most of the time. I thought about going enclosed but the cost/hassle of them really doesn't work for me, and I don't go more than a couple hours to ride anywhere so it's not like I need the "creature comforts" of a big ass enclosed. This is what I have now, it has been the perfect trailer but it's only 18'.

Attachments

• 20160623_154200.jpg
    20160623_154200.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20160623_154147.jpg
    20160623_154147.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 160
redneckengineered said:
I'm pretty well sold on the "buggy" style wide deck with drive over fenders. And I prefer bumper pull because I use a camper top on my truck most of the time. I thought about going enclosed but the cost/hassle of them really doesn't work for me, and I don't go more than a couple hours to ride anywhere so it's not like I need the "creature comforts" of a big ass enclosed. This is what I have now, it has been the perfect trailer but it's only 18'.

That's the same trailer I had, but mine had a 2' dovetail added. I sold it with the old 4runner buggy to one of my friends.
I considered adding grip tape or bedliner to the outside wide rails, they got slick in the rain.

I always ran a camper shell on my truck too.

c09b49ef51d0ebe41e0561937f6e8756.jpg

I have 2. Had a 10 ton gooseneck for a few years and just traded my old aluminum car hauler for this bumper pull. Its 18' deck with the monster ramps which make it 22' with ramps laying flat. 102" wide with drive over fenders. Blackwood rubber deck. 2 7k axles and a toolbox. They are not cheap but no one else can customize like that. I can haul cars/trucks, mini ex/ skid steer, farm ****, hay and 2 rzrs end to end with this which I why I ordered it. Only tool 4 weeks to custom build.

I will say they do ride rough empty, but I balanced the tires and that helps. Alot
Of trailer tires are **** as you know. Kaufman are fine for the money. Had one and they are built near me, but the paint/ finish is better on PJ. I think Kaufman used to use cheap axles.
I bought mine from LB's trailers in Harmony NC. Bought a few and am friends with the owner. But they are probably 4-5 hrs from you.

The monster ramps are nice, have them on both my PJ's.
257294ccd524b86fd77bdf252a2be1d7.jpg

I was set on getting a Big Tex or a PJ, had a hard time getting quotes from dealers so I ended up ordering a Lawrimore, the same trailer in a Big Tex was $1,000 higher. I never could get an apples to apples quote on a PJ. only complaint I have is a lot of runs in the paint.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 156
redneckengineered said:

I have bought 11 total trailers from Bobby in the past, throw in my name and see if the quote goes up. lol He has always been great to me.

Love my Lawrimore, Mines a 5200lb axles equipment trailer

Attachments

• 11180326_10152971438588458_1101866953464401041_n.jpg
    11180326_10152971438588458_1101866953464401041_n.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 162
Larwimore was the first quote to roll in...

28' 8K equipment trailer bumper pull, 102" wide deck
No dove
Ramp and haulers (will come out the side not the rear)
Dual 8K brake axles
Metal floor w/ d-rings
17.5 tire upgrade (all 5)
Spare on front
Led lights
2- 10K jacks
Drive over fenders

$8,745 total out-the-door

Any reason for not doing a gooseneck? We have an older PJ gooseneck and it does great for a xj and tj. We also use it for hauling hay and it pulls like a freaking dream. Probably one the best trails I've towed.

redneckengineered said:
I don't want to give up the camper top.

Ah. Will 28' be long enough for the two buggies? Our goose is 28' including dove and to haul the xj and tj the xj has to be 1" off the front and my tj the rear tires are about 3" from the end of the trailer. We had to cut a support out and rework it on the tongue so the xj's bumper could fit up there. It's tight with ours.

redneckengineered said:
Larwimore was the first quote to roll in...

28' 8K equipment trailer bumper pull, 102" wide deck
No dove
Ramp and haulers (will come out the side not the rear)
Dual 8K brake axles
Metal floor w/ d-rings
17.5 tire upgrade (all 5)
Spare on front
Led lights
2- 10K jacks
Drive over fenders

$8,745 total out-the-door

8 or 10" C channel frame? Tool box for strap storage? Deck lighting for night loading? What ply tires? :dunno: