• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

PJ Trailers

BigPrince said:
Call Dana at Trailerforless in Fayetteville, GA 770.460.0314. Bought a 10k PJ Buggy Hauler from her earlier this week. They were easily $1k less than anywhere else. I looked at PJ, LoadTrailer, BigTex, Carry On, H&H.

Disclaimer - have nothing to do with her or their business other than being a happy customer.

Dana came in at $10,500 on the PJ :****: :eek:

Damn, that's real similar to what I'm wanting. The Load Trail dealer here in Chattanooga got back with me last night. They are a family business and local. I'm hoping they give me a good quote.

Thanks for the other contacts guys, I will be calling them all.
[/quote]

Just got home from picking mine up and I'm very impressed with the build quaility of it. I liked Load Trail over Kaufman for a couple reasons. One being Loadtrail is powdercoated vs the Kaufman is painted. Loadtrail uses dexter axles vs the lippert or whatever that brand Kaufman uses. Loadtrail has an awesome warranty program that includes road side assistance for 2 years. Loadtrail also comes standard with big deep tool boxes in the front. Just trying to share some stuff I learned as I just went through the trailer shopping thing lol.

[URL=http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/jthames2009/media/IMG_1366_zpsrcr8vxvy.jpg.html]

redneckengineered said:
Kaufman is on the board at $7789. They called and were very nice to deal with. One thing they said is they use Lippert axles and not Dexter. Supposedly USA made. Any opinion there?

Im sure there is nothing that bad about them, but a lot of the RVs and toy haulers use Lippert and we all know they build them as cheap as possible. Seems that Dexter is number one. Everyone knows the name thats ever bought a trailer so why use anything else IMO. Unless its over 7k then you see Rockwell I believe.

redneckengineered said:
Kaufman is on the board at $7789. They called and were very nice to deal with. One thing they said is they use Lippert axles and not Dexter. Supposedly USA made. Any opinion there?
honesty glad to did not go with that one that was being pushed so hard on you with one brake on 3500's. Complete pos :****:

scjustin said:
Just got home from picking mine up and I'm very impressed with the build quaility of it. I liked Load Trail over Kaufman for a couple reasons. One being Loadtrail is powdercoated vs the Kaufman is painted. Loadtrail uses dexter axles vs the lippert or whatever that brand Kaufman uses. Loadtrail has an awesome warranty program that includes road side assistance for 2 years. Loadtrail also comes standard with big deep tool boxes in the front. Just trying to share some stuff I learned as I just went through the trailer shopping thing lol.

That looks good. Thanks for the update.

redneckengineered said:
Opinions on torsion vs spring axles as well as oil bath hubs vs greased EZ lube style hubs?

For pulling rigs down the interstate there is no question I would go Dexter torsion. I have pulled with all of the above and nothing pulls as nice loaded or not. I feel like they are a lot safer option also since each are independent. Few years back I hit something and blew a tire running 80 on I65 with two big buggies. Other than hearing the bang and feeling the tire flapping a little it was smooth and safe slowing and pulling off.

redneckengineered said:
Opinions on torsion vs spring axles as well as oil bath hubs vs greased EZ lube style hubs?

I REALLY like my ez lube type axles.

I wouldn't have torsion axles for two reasons: they don't equalize the weight between two axles and if you breakdown on the side of the road, expect to be there a while waiting on specialized parts.

I thought this might add something to the mix....i found this to be helpful in explaining the difference in the two setups, because i don't really know a lot about trailer suspension.

http://lamartrailer.net/spring-vs-torsion-utility-trailer-axles-whats-the-big-deal/

Reading this something did stick out to me though, just like 98TJ said from a maintenance and durability stand point.

If you have an issue i think it would be better to have something simpler....with the ability to get parts that are easily accessible in locations other that around home......sorta like the "i have a Chevy 350 and can get parts for it any where in the country'' kind of thing. Trying to find parts in unfamiliar locations adds to the stress if you have an issue.

I own multiple trailers with ez-lube type axles and have pulled with many many more. For most cases I agree with the ez-lube type axle for the ease of parts and they are cheap if bent. However, I think the sb350 statement was spot on. The ez-lube/leaf spring is a sb350 and the torsion is an LS3. They have basically no maintenance and last much much longer. I think the military has used them heavily for years. The on road performance and safety is far superior. I have ran over curbs and all kinds of stuff loaded with my torsion axles over the years without any issue. If I did have an issue I think it would be from overloading the tire and not the axle. So to be clear, my recommendation was for a new trailer that is normally going to see interstate and road travel pulling buggies. In my mind, even taking away the safety and ride I still feel like the dependability is a lot better. I figure my chances of being on the side of the road at night waiting for a store to open and get an ez-lube part are greater than being stranded with an torsion. Worst case is if a bearing did actually go, drive slower to a hotel and having to unload one rig for someone else to come get. Taking the tire off the damaged axle and it still runs perfectly to tow the other.
I didn't knock on wood so I probably got it coming to me now. laughing1

All I can say is having completely destroyed an axle spindle on my buddy's trailer in Amarillo, Tx while coming back from Colorado, I am damn glad this place was there and open on Saturday morning. The owner was EXTREMELY helpful and had every thing we needed to replace the whole axle.

http://www.hawkinstrailer.com/

He probably had some torsion axle stuff around there, but I didn't notice it. We need a place like that around these parts.

Personally I've grown to be a big believer in the torsion axle. They ride smooth and track well. Over the past 8-9 years I've logged some serious miles on my torsion axle trailer without the first problem from the axles. I like the fact that the tires hold weight independently because in theory, the weight will ride on the rear tire while the front crosses the bad section of road whereas a dual leaf spring trailer will experience a much more violent shock load that get shared between both tires and axles.

On my way back from KOH this year somewhere between Amarillo and OKC I ran over what I believe was a piece of scrap metal as I was changing lanes to pass a semi. I was loaded down heavy, 2 full body rigs, a job box full of parts, spare tires etc. Probably 17,500lbs of trailer weight easy. I heard a boom that sounded like a shotgun and at first me nor my passenger could figure out what happened. We honestly thought that the trailer must have run over something that flew out of the back of the truck because the trailer was tracking along just as straight and smooth as always. As we started to switch lanes in front of the semi we noticed him flashing his lights so we decided we'd better pull over and check. Sure enough the front trailer tire was completely flat. I was totally impressed with how well the trailer tracked down the road with just 1 torsion axle holding up all the weight.

Here's a pic of the inside of my tire that ran over the chunk of metal in the road. I've run over a ton of junk over the years but this is the first time I've ever had something penetrate the carcass of my tires.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 153
I purchased a custom 20' C5 PJ from Wholesale Trailers out of Fayetteville, Tn last June and love it. I looked at a ton of trailers and these were among the best. If you have a steel deck powder coat is the only way to go. I had a nice steel deck Carson trailer before that and the paint starting chipping off from use after several years. Trailer came in by delivery date, had the best price in the area, and my custom order came in as ordered.

Wholesale Trailer & Livestock Equipment
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Address: 1710 Huntsville Hwy, Fayetteville, TN 37334
Phone: (931) 433-6930
http://www.wholesaletrailerllc.com/

JW79 said:
I purchased a custom 20' C5 PJ from Wholesale Trailers out of Fayetteville, Tn............................. Trailer came in by delivery date, had the best price in the area, and my custom order came in as ordered.

I bought my PJ trailer from the Fayetteville dealer about 8 years ago; I guess it is still the same guy. If you special order from them, go over the order with them several times. They screwed up my order and only go brakes on one axle. Other than that, I was happy with the price, dealer and trailer.

Latest posts