• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Planning a trip to Moab Utah

xjkrawler

Looking at planning a trip to Moab with the family (parents and brother inlaw and sister) in the next year or so. Planning to fly into either, Denver, Salt Lake, or Vegas and rent an RV to drive to Moab. Going to rent some jeeps/ RZRs for a week of riding and exploring.

Anybody ever done a trip like this that could post up some advice? Will be doing this with 4 other people (3 couples) so looking at renting an RV that can sleep 6.

This is all in the early stages of planning.

Towing jeeps out there is out of the question.....

6 people in a rv will be tight. We rented a 3b/2ba condo for a week for less than $1000, in Moab. Fly in to slc, or grand junction, rent a van, and rent jeeps/rzrs in Moab.

Travis said:
6 people in a rv will be tight. We rented a 3b/2ba condo for a week for less than $1000......

Ditto.

What time of year are you going?

Travis said:
6 people in a rv will be tight. We rented a 3b/2ba condo for a week for less than $1000, in Moab. Fly in to slc, or grand junction, rent a van, and rent jeeps/rzrs in Moab.

We are looking into this as well....

98TJ said:
Ditto.

What time of year are you going?

Early Fall 2015

TheViking said:
Six in a RV someone or multiple someone's would be pissed and if it was my family I would be the main one molaugh

Haha this may be the case... we have done a couple vacations in mom and dads rv. But yes I think the condo would be better.

xjkrawler said:
Early Fall 2015

I've never wheeled there, but have spoke to some folks who have to gather info for a trip out there one day. Fall is a good time to go, but be aware that's it can still be pretty damn hot out there in Sept and early Oct.

Lots of good wheelin' in Colorado and it's 500 miles closer. You can also go in the summer.

NIB

After plane tickets and renting all that junk, would it not be about the same cost as pulling the Jeeps up there? There's a group of guys from my work that go every year, I however ain't pulling my junk that far. Plenty of good wheeling around here to suffice for me. molaugh

We flew into Vegas and left the next morning. We prefer to travel in a rental car and stay in motels. We stayed a couple of days at Zion National Park in Springdale Utah. Zion is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and the drive from Vegas to Zion is nice. While you are at Moab, check out Arches National Park and Dead Horse State Park.

As much as I love wheeling, the rental Jeep thing at Moab was not the best part of the trip. We were limited to certain trails and I had to sign a waiver that would allow them to deduct $300 from my card if the Jeep was even seen at several trails. We were limited to 12 hours and I think it was around $250. We ran Hells Revenge and Poison Spider Mesa. I am glad that we wheeled the rental but I probably won't do it again. A couple of years earlier we rented a Jeep in Sedona AZ and got to keep it for 24 hours for less money. Sedona has some beautiful scenic trails.

Sawzall said:
We flew into Vegas and left the next morning. We prefer to travel in a rental car and stay in motels. We stayed a couple of days at Zion National Park in Springdale Utah. Zion is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and the drive from Vegas to Zion is nice. While you are at Moab, check out Arches National Park and Dead Horse State Park.

As much as I love wheeling, the rental Jeep thing at Moab was not the best part of the trip. We were limited to certain trails and I had to sign a waiver that would allow them to deduct $300 from my card if the Jeep was even seen at several trails. We were limited to 12 hours and I think it was around $250. We ran Hells Revenge and Poison Spider Mesa. I am glad that we wheeled the rental but I probably won't do it again. A couple of years earlier we rented a Jeep in Sedona AZ and got to keep it for 24 hours for less money. Sedona has some beautiful scenic trails.

Who did you rent your jeep through? I know there are several companies... Also thinking about renting RZRs

xjkrawler said:
Who did you rent your jeep through? I know there are several companies... Also thinking about renting RZRs
Cliffhanger in Moab, Farabee in Sedona. Farabee has a Moab location.

We have been out 3 times and it is always a blast and zion is awsome the guys from outlaw jeeps are pretty good to deal with we have always stayed at koa and it is nice it is a trip to rember every time out

Check flying in to Albuquerque and going up through Durango and Ouray. Check out telluride and then over to Moab. Did this a few years back. Awesome trip. Million dollar highway is incredible.