• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powerglide for crawling?

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
So I have a lead on a bombproof powerglide. Just not sure if I should pull the trigger. I'm planning on building my rig as a "trailbouncer". Basically a bouncer that is capable of slow crawling as well. Assuming I run a mild 6.0, powerglide (unknown ratio right now), 4.10's and 43" stickies, is it possible to get good crawlability while retaining the option of good wheelspeed when necessary? I didn't mention a tcase or stall simply because I'm hoping the answere lies there. And if that's the answere, what stall and case should I be shooting for?

I have a glide in mine with a 5:1 Atlas and 4.56 gears. In low, it crawls pretty good, but will hit the rev limiter pretty quick when you hit the throttle. I love Powerglides for their short length but if I did it all over again I'd use a 4 speed Atlas for more options.

Powerglide will build a lot of heat fast from what I have heard.

Alrighty guys. I guess I should just stick with the original plan and throw a 400 in. Here's the specs on that pg if anyone is interested. It's located somewhere up here in pa. Pm me if you want his #.

I am selling my power glide transmission, it has a blow proof Dedenbear case, Forward manual valve body, 300M input and output shafts. 10 clutch drum, competition super bands, billet twin seal servo and cover, custom super pump, AN fitting fluid connections. It was built to handle 1800 HP. Nothing wrong with it, just changing some things up on my buggy and putting a TH350 built with TH400 parts. $900.00 obo.

A PG backed by a 4 speed Atlas works great. The combo packages well, a PG is ridiculously tough for the money and I've never had an issue with them heating up. It's in the YJ now and I had it in my 1st race buggy. I have thought hard about doing it in my new racer.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I'm putting a Powerglide in my single seater with a stock LQ9, 3.0 Atlas, and 5.13 gears. Obviously I haven't ran it yet, but I'm hoping it works out ok because I don't have room for anything else.

I might be interested in that Powerglide for that price. Mine is decently built, but that's a hell of s price on that one. I'll PM you.

hokie_yj said:
I'm putting a Powerglide in my single seater with a stock LQ9, 3.0 Atlas, and 5.13 gears. Obviously I haven't ran it yet, but I'm hoping it works out ok because I don't have room for anything else.

I might be interested in that Powerglide for that price. Mine is decently built, but that's a hell of s price on that one. I'll PM you.
Agreed. That's a $2500-$3000 transmission. I paid $1200 for one in a stock case with stock internals and a manual valve body, and that was the best deal I could find.

yankster said:
Agreed. That's a $2500-$3000 transmission. I paid $1200 for one in a stock case with stock internals and a manual valve body, and that was the best deal I could find.

Yeah, I've got $1500+ in the one I have now. It's a stock case (I added an ultra-bell), with Hughes internals, converter, and a manual valve body. I got the information from BeerJ and sent the guy a message to see if it's still available.

Out of curiosity do you run a powerglide in your buggy? If so what t-case and axle ratios are you running? My low range is going to be 27.8 with the 6.0 kinda wondering if that's gonna be enough. My last buggy was 53.2 with a 4.3 V6, and I felt like it was too low. It would power through the brakes, and I could load it on the trailer without touching the throttle. I'm not building a bouncer, but I don't want to be hitting the rev limiter at 10 MPH like a damn 'Yota either.

yankster said:
Damn Jerod, funny thing is it's listed on the rc forum. I lurk those classifieds pretty good being that it's only about 45 min north of me. Compared to having to drive over 500 miles 1 way for a chasis.

hokie_yj said:
Yeah, I've got $1500+ in the one I have now. It's a stock case (I added an ultra-bell), with Hughes internals, converter, and a manual valve body. I got the information from BeerJ and sent the guy a message to see if it's still available.

Out of curiosity do you run a powerglide in your buggy? If so what t-case and axle ratios are you running? My low range is going to be 27.8 with the 6.0 kinda wondering if that's gonna be enough. My last buggy was 53.2 with a 4.3 V6, and I felt like it was too low. It would power through the brakes, and I could load it on the trailer without touching the throttle. I'm not building a bouncer, but I don't want to be hitting the rev limiter at 10 MPH like a damn 'Yota either.
I'm building a motorcycle engine powered mini buggy and picked the Powerglide for the size. It will be stock 3.55 gears for now with 33" tires and a 4:1ish transfer case. Plans are to maybe drive it on the street sometimes if it turns out decent. If it needs more gear later I'll change them out.

I've got a LS motor 5:13 axles 3:8 atlas with a PTC glide and to me it's only down fall is the heat build up....but overall I'd do it again !