• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane vs EFI for Toyota 22r or 22re

ole heep

I am looking at buying a propane kit or building one for my motor. I have a 22re and I also have a separate carbureted intake manifold. What are my best options for using propane? I have all the stuff to run the EFI but I don't want all the wiring. I like keeping things simple as possible. So I am thinking propane as the best option. I am looking for information on what size kit to buy and best places to purchase kit or just buy all the individual pieces? Also do I run the carbureted intake manifold or the EFI manifold? Any help is greatly appreciated

Run propane on the efi manifold is pretty easy, no adapters and such needed for the mixer. Just a boot and some clamps.
Run a carb vacuum advance distributer.

Re:

Model e vaporizer and ca200 carb is what I have I think it's a gotpropane kit I have a carb intake on a re motor

I run the GotPropane kit on my 1986 22RE using the EFI manifold. I did some research and in the end it was easier and cheaper to buy the complete kit from GotPropane. You will also need a carbureted vacuum advance distributer and a carb ignition coil.

ToyotaTom said:
I run the GotPropane kit on my 1986 22RE using the EFI manifold. I did some research and in the end it was easier and cheaper to buy the complete kit from GotPropane. You will also need a carbureted vacuum advance distributer and a carb ignition coil.
So did u buy the kit from Gotpropane directly or a vendor? What was the price?

karatejosh said:
Model e vaporizer and ca200 carb is what I have I think it's a gotpropane kit I have a carb intake on a re motor
Can I get more information about ur system? I just hate to spend $800 on an system that I should be able to build from Helmar for half of that or less. Thanks

ToyotaTom said:

I have the distributor and coil and EFI and or carb manifolds. I just think I should be able to get parts quite a bit cheaper if I can find out all the kit specs. Mixer and evaporator sizes and anything else needed.

TBItoy said:
Run propane on the efi manifold is pretty easy, no adapters and such needed for the mixer. Just a boot and some clamps.
Run a carb vacuum advance distributer.

Can u tell me what make and models or part numbers for the mixer and vaporizer to run propane for the EFI setup? Just hard to pay $8-900 for kit when it looks like I can build it for half price. Thanks

Yes, I am still having this sale. It is going until the end of september. I do my best to give guys their moneys worth. You didn't save some money by going to helmar etc.. You just wasted your money if it doesn't turn out right. I use a big carb but test run them and fix the internals to make good power with the right fuel economy. Is a few $$ "saved" worth it if it is weak sauce or on the other side if it burns too much fuel and the run time is cut short by a few hours per tank? You decide. Thanks to everyone who runs our stuff!! Cary

Honestly man you pay for what you get. Spend the money and get the got propane kit. That way you know for sure it is right the first time. And if there is any issues he is an awesome guy to talk to. I have a propane kit on my yota. Was on there when I bought the rig. Rig always ran decent but had no balls. Called gotpropane talked to him ended up finding out that the kit is way to small and motor is sucking threw a straw. So went ahead and ordered his kit along with few other things to get little more power out of the 22r. So you can go cheap now and be guessing the hole time on tuning and if its sized right and maybe spending your money twice. Or just buy what is proven to work the first time and be done with it. Just my 2 cents. Last thing you want to cheap on is what makes your rig actually run.

Latest posts