• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pros/cons of ORV tabs?

Dain Bramage

So, after a 4 year hiatus from wheeling and a couple of half hearted attempts to sell my rig, I've decided to get back into wheeling. Now that I have a tow rig and a trailer, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just tab it as an ORV, but I don't know if there will be occasions where that might bite me, such as travelling between trails on logging roads and whatnot.

So, after a 4 year hiatus from wheeling and a couple of half hearted attempts to sell my rig, I've decided to get back into wheeling. Now that I have a tow rig and a trailer, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just tab it as an ORV, but I don't know if there will be occasions where that might bite me, such as travelling between trails on logging roads and whatnot.

As long as it is in an ORV area, it is fine to be on the forest roads. Like up at Elbe, you can be on the roads from the parking lot up to the upper pit, below the parking lot you are not allowed.

IIRC the Oregon tab has reciprocity in WA. Don't quote me on that though.

Even though mine is hammered, I still keep DOL tabs on it and buy an Oregon ORV permit every two years.

I was just remembering people at Reiter getting ticketed between the parking area and sac up or deer creek. Not really looking for a ticket, but I have a feeling Reiter was one of the last places like that around here.

People got tickets for running out on the actual road. I was always ORV tagged and could hit every trail out there without driving on the road, it just took extra time.

Alright then. ORV tags it is. After I put a transmission, batteries, and battery cables in my dodge, redeck and register my trailer, and have the dmv call Olympia to reactivate or whatever the Vin on the wheeler because it's not in the system anymore.

Also if you have Wa plates and Oregon ORV tabs you are susceptible to getting a ticket. Plus all the $$ on ORV tags goes out of state :awesomework:

Can you not wheel in Oregon parks with just Washington plates? I don't see the reasoning behind running WA plates and OR tags.

Can you not wheel in Oregon parks with just Washington plates? I don't see the reasoning behind running WA plates and OR tags.

To use ORV areas in oregon you need an oregon orv tag. The tags are also good in washington but if you are a washington resident(this is from dnr leo's) you cannot run an oregon orv tag here.

Don't bother going to the Manashtash/Little Naches area. You need to be street legal (plates) to run any main forest road. you will be limited to trails only.

To use ORV areas in oregon you need an oregon orv tag. The tags are also good in washington but if you are a washington resident(this is from dnr leo's) you cannot run an oregon orv tag here.

If you have a WA orv tagged vehicle you do not need an OR ORV tag here.

If you are plated you need an ORV tag of some kind, WA or OR, to run ORV area's in OR.

If you are plated you need an ORV tag of some kind, WA or OR, to run ORV area's in OR.

crash said:
To use ORV areas in oregon you need an oregon orv tag.

This is no longer true and is commonly misunderstood. This law changed recently, within last year or two. Basically, OR and WA have reciprocity now. In WA you are legal on WA ORV trails if you are street licensed. The OR law changed to say if you are legal in your home state (WA), then you are legal on OR trails. So if your rig is street licensed in WA, you are ORV legal now at Tillamook State Forest, Oregon dune areas, etc.

John

This is no longer true and is commonly misunderstood. This law changed recently, within last year or two. Basically, OR and WA have reciprocity now. In WA you are legal on WA ORV trails if you are street licensed. The OR law changed to say if you are legal in your home state (WA), then you are legal on OR trails. So if your rig is street licensed in WA, you are ORV legal now at Tillamook State Forest, Oregon dune areas, etc.

John

Not sure if I agree with this;

http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/Pages/Permits.aspx#Out_of_state_ATV_Permits

Sounds more like, if your ATV has an ATV plate, then you don't need a sticker, because some ATVs are now licensed, and not 'stickered'.

Also, Washington's ATV sticker, is way more expensive than Oregon's stickers.

Not sure if I agree with this;

http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/Pages/Permits.aspx#Out_of_state_ATV_Permits

Sounds more like, if your ATV has an ATV plate, then you don't need a sticker, because some ATVs are now licensed, and not 'stickered'.

Also, Washington's ATV sticker, is way more expensive than Oregon's stickers.

Interesting, I read what I wrote a couple years ago when law changed, and confirmed it in person with LEO's both at TSF and Sand Lake dunes areas.

So how do I go about getting a tag/tab/sticker for a non street legal, trailered trail rig? I have the title from when it was originally a Toyota 4Runner and a discovery pass for my tow rig.
a8e2c30cb292e5dd5f5fbef85eea39e4c532e19db94c2de7f8b979f80acf6166.jpg

So how do I go about getting a tag/tab/sticker for a non street legal, trailered trail rig? I have the title from when it was originally a Toyota 4Runner and a discovery pass for my tow rig.

Call WSP and ask for exactly what you are saying. Had a gal meet me here in town and inspect my rig, then she filed the paperwork. Can't remember costs but it wasn't to bad and its legit. Then you go into DOL and pay for a new title. Title now says 94 Toyota blah blah, ORV only non-street legal

The way I see it.. Oregon's ohv sticker is $12 for 2 years basically it's $6 a year to have one legit reason not to get stopped be leo's... you will get pulled over in Oregon for no sticker whether your in the right or wrong.. they'll want to check you. As far as Washington whatever you can do not to pay them lmao!!!

Call WSP and ask for exactly what you are saying. Had a gal meet me here in town and inspect my rig, then she filed the paperwork. Can't remember costs but it wasn't to bad and its legit. Then you go into DOL and pay for a new title. Title now says 94 Toyota blah blah, ORV only non-street legal

Awesome, thanks!

John

Even if that is the case, I have zero issue buying an Oregon ORV tab for not only the price, but the maintenance and quality of their ORV areas.

The only ticket I have received in the past 12-14 years was in Oregon at Tillamook. And it wasn't because my jeep was a POS on the road, it was for an improperly secured child restraint. The LEO even agreed that it was secured better than any LATCH/seatbelt system, but he also said it was not to any written standard so he issued me a $110 ticket.

I paid it gladly, he didn't care at all about the death trap driving on a public road. I had current tabs, ORV tabs, and insurance. He only cared about my kids safety. :awesomework:

Last edited: