• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pulling a large trailer and not having a CDL

Maybe he was full of ****, but I've had a DOT guy in GA tell me they are mostly concerned that the tires aren't over their weight rating not gvwr or gcvwr. As long as the weight on each tire doesn't exceed it's rating, you're good (according to random dot cop).

Even if that's true, that doesn't stop the ambulance chaser coming after you if you are hauling over the vehicle rating and get in a wreck.

The actual weight of my setup is within the gcwr but with the dual tandem the combined rating would be too high. I just figured I'd rather be at half capacity of a heavier trailer than max capacity of a lighter one. The extra tires and bigger brakes seemed like a good idea even though its technically illegal. I do have a class a not that it matters. I saw a guy at the test place one time getting his cdl with a newer ram dually and big gneck, it was interesting.

I have heard of places that are super strict about it that I'll avoid hopefully, it would be a good excuse to upgrade to a newer truck though.

cd5b968eac4686b59fba26229009f0a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tow and haul alot. Not going to get technical. You have gotten some good info. Run really good tires load g rated .make sure all brakes work on all axles. I have no stickers on truck. Never stopped at a weigh station. Some for my biz and some personal. Have never been stopped. I do drive a f550 . No cdl required to haul a gooseneck. I also have comercial insurance. 100/300 that also covers what is attached to my vehicles like a trailer. Insurance is pretty cheap at 1k a yr for that type of policy. Idk if that helps but its my 2cents

One more thing. Triple axle trailers are hard on tires and harder to park. Dually tandem axles are way safer and have a better weight distribution.

On my bus I had liability insurance of 100/300 & it was sub $400 a year. It had a gross of 37k but was registered as a RV. Since it was a RV it was exempt from CDL. At least that's the way I understood it.
That's why I was saying have it reclassified. I didn't realize the trucks gross was a factor.
On my way home with it, I was never stopped even with tags that were a few years expired.
My last trip out was to AOP, a GSP car got behind me. I had forgot to put the tags on my Jeep or bus. The tags were 3 months expired. He went around me & never looked back.

Cops dont really care but I get the whole "ambulance chasing lawyer" thing.

On another note.
My trucks gross is 9500. My trailer is 10400. I'm illegal? My only "intent" is to pull my 4500 lbs rig & not bend 7k trailer axles in the event I get tons or decide to store extra parts on the trailer.

Can I use the black pipe from Lowes to build my cage with?

Suspension seats VS hard shell

Do I need a CDL or not?

All of the above questions on any internet site always equals the same thing.

Here's your answer: Call the law enforcement agency most likely to see you the most often and ask them. /thread.

Re: Re: Pulling a large trailer and not having a CDL

Big David said:
On another note.
My trucks gross is 9500. My trailer is 10400. I'm illegal? My only "intent" is to pull my 4500 lbs rig & not bend 7k trailer axles in the event I get tons or decide to store extra parts on the trailer.

GVWR and GCWR are two different things. Unless you've got a Honda Ridgeline, I bet your GCWR is over 9500.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Pulling a large trailer and not having a CDL

onepieceatatime said:
GVWR and GCWR are two different things. Unless you've got a Honda Ridgeline, I bet your GCWR is over 9500.

You are correct. Its 14k.

A Ford said:
Can I use the black pipe from Lowes to build my cage with?

Suspension seats VS hard shell

Do I need a CDL or not?

All of the above questions on any internet site always equals the same thing.

I find the screw together black pipe doesn't hold up like my solder together joints.

My set up of a suspension seat mounted in my Kirkey seems to be working for me. But I am kinda short.

All .gov will tell you to get a CDL no matter who you talk to because "it's the law". On a side note I want to live where you live where I can sit down and have an open honest conversation with law enforcement officers, who have time to do this. Even the ones at the DMV that are paid to help you understand don't have time.

Here's your answer: Call the law enforcement agency most likely to see you the most often and ask them. /thread.

Dammit now I quote like Old Man Admin on here. :****:

I called the State Police HQ for my district. They happily had the DOT officer call me back. He was happy to make sure I was doing the right thing and answered all my questions and understood why I was asking him.

When you talk to a DOT officer I would highly recommend asking them to show you specifically where to find what they're telling you in writing. There's so many laws and ways they can be interpreted that one cop will tell you one thing that another one will write you a ticket for. I've ran into that situation a couple times when I've been pulled over for random inspections at work. They also hate when you try to explaining to them that you we're told such and such by another officer.

When I talked to them it wasn't to ask if I needed a CDL, it was specifically trying to avoid needing one. Here is 25,600 GCWR. Before anyone says anything those are 5,200 lbs axles not 7,000. The trailers actual weight is 12k fully loaded.

Here is our setup. We have been running this setup for about 8 years. And have had basically the same setup for about 20 years. We travil all over Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin. And never had any trouble with the Popo. The only trouble we have is finding a parking spot. ;D

Attachments

• 2574.jpg
    2574.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
I've got one for you guys:

I have a Titan XD and it's limited to 12k max towing. I'm shopping for a new trail rig/equipment trailer. I'm finding the difference in 5,200lb and 7,000 axles to be relatively small. Am I subjecting myself to risk of being sued or ticketed if I never actually get it anywhere near 12k (or 14k for that matter). A rig, mini ex, or load of materials will likely never exceed 9-10k. I'm in Tennessee by the way.

Markrobinson said:
I've got one for you guys:

I have a Titan XD and it's limited to 12k max towing. I'm shopping for a new trail rig/equipment trailer. I'm finding the difference in 5,200lb and 7,000 axles to be relatively small. Am I subjecting myself to risk of being sued or ticketed if I never actually get it anywhere near 12k (or 14k for that matter). A rig, mini ex, or load of materials will likely never exceed 9-10k. I'm in Tennessee by the way.

I would get the 7k axles for the bigger brakes and tires. I don't see why you would have trouble getting ticketed. I had a TN DOT officer stay beside of me while towing a 20' trailer with the brush painted M1008 that I used to have on a 4 lane. He was looking at the hitch area but since I had everything required he just kept going.

Getting sued after a wreck is a different story. People will sue for anything. That is why I have an umbrella policy.

Sawzall said:
I would get the 7k axles for the bigger brakes and tires. I don't see why you would have trouble getting ticketed. I had a TN DOT officer stay beside of me while towing a 20' trailer with the brush painted M1008 that I used to have on a 4 lane. He was looking at the hitch area but since I had everything required he just kept going.

Getting sued after a wreck is a different story. People will sue for anything. That is why I have an umbrella policy.

I appreciate the feedback. I have 235 75 16s on my dump trailer and think they're a much better tire than any 15. With it loaded down they don't flex near as much backing into tights spots. I've had load range e trailer tires that have looked like they would fold off the wheel

Recently picked up a Silverado 4500 with a GVRW of 16,500#. All of my trailers are 14,000# GVRW so it is definitely over the limit.
Also it's not going to be mistaken for a 3500 visually like the Ford and Dodge 4500, 5500 and 6500, so I doubt I can do much hauling without getting F'd with. I do have "Not for hire" stickers on truck and trailers.
My question is for anyone who has acquired a class A CDL with the "57 restriction" for folks hauling more than 26,000 but not commercially: what are the written and driving tests like? Is the written test the same for both, and if so am I better off with a full class A to have something to fall back on?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-2773.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-2773.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 314
  • CDL_Classifications.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 422
Recently picked up a Silverado 4500 with a GVRW of 16,500#. All of my trailers are 14,000# GVRW so it is definitely over the limit.
Also it's not going to be mistaken for a 3500 visually like the Ford and Dodge 4500, 5500 and 6500, so I doubt I can do much hauling without getting F'd with. I do have "Not for hire" stickers on truck and trailers.
My question is for anyone who has acquired a class A CDL with the "57 restriction" for folks hauling more than 26,000 but not commercially: what are the written and driving tests like? Is the written test the same for both, and if so am I better off with a full class A to have something to fall back on?
No help on the Class A CDL info, but that's a massive looking Medium Duty Truck!

Latest posts