• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pulling a large trailer and not having a CDL

ridered3

Not Rigless
I believe those are now built by International, drove by the factory one day and the parking lot was full of them.
I was thinking the same thing in terms of who build them. I've only seen a couple in passing and they both had different front ends, so that would explain that.

Zjman

The tcase in those trucks are huge and hang down a ton, look almost like a drop box style case. But I do think they look cool. There’s a place up by dalton Ohio that has probably a 100 of em sitting. They put beds on em
And as far as the cdl goes I would just get the class A. The permit test isn’t difficult, not sure how ya would do the driving part of it. I went to a school almost 20 years ago and got mine.

Last edited:

GLTHFJ60

Some states have non-commercial Class A licenses (NC does, I have one) or RV endorsements that allow you to pull over 26k without CDL.

I'd recommend looking into that in PA, because having a CDL would be a pain (logging, medical, etc.)

617_Racing

Some states have non-commercial Class A licenses (NC does, I have one) or RV endorsements that allow you to pull over 26k without CDL.

I'd recommend looking into that in PA, because having a CDL would be a pain (logging, medical, etc.)

I'm looking into a class E here in GA. Allows higher than 26K and towing of more than 10K.

extremetownie

I was reading all of this and getting worried. Last year i bought a Freightliner sleeper semi to pull my gooseneck enclosed trailer. I was told to put a not for hire and roll. We wet to OK,PA,WV and all over KY with it. Well i got to looking hard and found this
https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/rules/1340/1340-01/1340-01-13.20160428.pdf
My trailer has a bed,microwave ,ac and heat. I consider that temporary living space. I think I am legal,but we all know if an asshole want to stop you he will.

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
One thing that will really help no matter where you are is to keep whatever you're doing clean and maintened well and that will help but not completely prevent DOT off your back.

Sawzall

If I was going to buy a new truck, it would definitely be a Chevy 4500.

So far so good with my F750 and 48' enclosed trailer in TN, KY, AR, and OK. I have driven past several weigh stations. The trailer has windows so it is easy to tell it has a living quarters. I never got pulled over with my old 38' enclosed and 1 ton dually.

Another member of this board got pulled over after driving past a weigh station in a Class 8 cab over Freightliner box truck. They let him go after looking at his buggy in the back and finding out he was not commercial. The box had a living quarters though.

Last edited:

yankster

HC Supporter
I believe those are now built by International, drove by the factory one day and the parking lot was full of them.
Yup International chassis with a Duramax, 6-speed Allison transmission like they use in dump trucks and Chevy cab. 4.30:1 gears in the 4x4s with a Dana super 60 front and 110 rear. Top speed limited to 75.

ridered3

Not Rigless
Yup International chassis with a Duramax, 6-speed Allison transmission like they use in dump trucks and Chevy cab. 4.30:1 gears in the 4x4s with a Dana super 60 front and 110 rear. Top speed limited to 75.
Purely out of my own curiosity, any idea what just the truck weighs?

Primary

HardlineCrawlers Assistant
Here are some related products that HardlineCrawlers members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to HardlineCrawlers’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to HardlineCrawlers discussions about these products.

Latest posts