• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for any transmission builders

jimijam19K

This has to do with the 700R4 transmission. I have two potential donors to replace the transmission in my 1988 4.3l C1500 std cab long bed. This is a extra truck/parts chaser no heavy loads or towing and no long term plans to keep.

First of all this is a truck I'm in to for about $300 so this is an R&R, stab and go affair. there will be no building or upgrading of the transmission.

The intardweb tells me that 700R4s after 1988/89 up until they went electronic in 1993(ish) are the best ones to use due to factory upgrades over time. The intardweb also mentions staying away from S10 versions because they are weaker (no specifics)

Donor #1. 1989 S10 4.3l unit, "K" case, already pulled and ready to pick up, includes convertor and cable.

Donor #2 1991 full size conversion van, 5.7l unit, still in van needing to be pulled.

Both transmissions are at an asking price of $200, one is pulled and ready to pick up the other isn't.

My biggest question is regarding everything I've heard about S10 versions being inferior for what ever reason. Should I go pull the full size van transmission if it is indeed a superior unit?

Thanks for any input.

Latest posts