• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for those with CTM/Yukon joints

I did, and after a lot of back and forth I went with gearworks. I got 2 gearworks for about he cost of 1 tubeworks. Yes the tubeworks are lighter. I originally had one, however I just couldn't justify the cost of an additional one in the rear so I was able to sell it for what I had into it.

Yeah, that's true on cost. The Tubeworks "Cross Tie" is a badass setup, they really did something there with the reversed bearings/girdle setup.

The Gearworks 3rd member casting with a Tubeworks Duplx pinion support and 10" pro gears is probably the strongest setup for the $ with all "off the shelf/commonly available" parts that will fit in a "9" housing.

Are you running HP front/LP rear?

Yeah, that's true on cost. The Tubeworks "Cross Tie" is a badass setup, they really did something there with the reversed bearings/girdle setup.

The Gearworks 3rd member casting with a Tubeworks Duplx pinion support and 10" pro gears is probably the strongest setup for the $ with all "off the shelf/commonly available" parts that will fit in a "9" housing.

Are you running HP front/LP rear?
Yes HP front LP rear EWR pinion supports. 45 spline 45 degree pressure angle spools. I really was thinking about running a HP rear for more ground clearance. How knows maybe I'll do that down the road.

Yes HP front LP rear EWR pinion supports. 45 spline 45 degree pressure angle spools. I really was thinking about running a HP rear for more ground clearance. How knows maybe I'll do that down the road.
They now have the amboid cut gears for better strength in a rear HP application

I have them building another HI 10" using the 3.8" bearing case with 40 spline spool. I'm going front and rear Hi.

Anyone know where reverse cut, 10", 5.43 gears are, please let me know.

for someone looking for weight savings in LP rear application, the Strange Ultra 10" case seems like a good setup. The inner pinion bearing is larger compared to what will fit in the "Daytona" style pinion supports.

You can set it up with 10" gears and whatever spool you want for less than 1/2 the price of a Tubeworks diff.

That is what is in the rear of Roger's car (with 10" Tom's gears and a 45 spline spool) , I didn't weigh it but I swear the complete 3rd weighs less than the just a cast iron empty Gearworks case

Last edited:
OG post sorry for all of this derail. Should we make a spinoff thread that way more people can see this topic of dropouts, gears etc?

for someone looking for weight savings in LP rear application, the Strange Ultra 10" case seems like a good setup. The inner pinion bearing is larger compared to what will fit in the "Daytona" style pinion supports.

You can set it up with 10" gears and whatever spool you want for less than 1/2 the price of a Tubeworks diff.

That is what is in the rear of Roger's car (with 10" Tom's gears and a 45 spline spool) , I didn't weigh it but I swear the complete 3rd weighs less than the just a cast iron Gearworks 3rd.

Half the price of a Tubeworks diff is about the price of a Gearworks, right ? Hard to sway away from a proven product and great support.

Half the price of a Tubeworks diff is about the price of a Gearworks, right ? Hard to sway away from a proven product and great support.
Weight savings. A lot of people will run a GW HP front and a Yukon or strange case in the rear for weight savings.

If you want gearworks, you can buy their 3rds with everything but the R&P for around 2K. Then go get on Race dezert or a Pro 2/4/ lite forum. Those guys change out gears almost every race. They sell basically brand new gears for around $500. All US gear/ gearworks polished REM finished etc.

Can you give a link to a Pro 2/4/ lite forum.
1652148271954.png

This 5.43 is on Race Dezert. I'll get links to the pro 2 pro 4 forums.

If you want gearworks, you can buy their 3rds with everything but the R&P for around 2K. Then go get on Race dezert or a Pro 2/4/ lite forum. Those guys change out gears almost every race. They sell basically brand new gears for around $500. All US gear/ gearworks polished REM finished etc.
You're saving about $500/750 and have to do the labor yourself + you still end up with a used gear.
Sounds almost like a no brainer to buy all new and set-up by Gearworks.
No ?

You're saving about $500/750 and have to do the labor yourself + you still end up with a used gear.
Sounds almost like a no brainer to buy all new and set-up by Gearworks.
No ?
Gearworks is around $4K complete. They charge $500 to setup and run. Just throwing out a budget friendly way if someone is trying to pinch pennies and knows how to setup gears. Or if you can buy a used case etc. EWR is about the same price for a complete setup. Yes you end up with "used gears" however they aren't used like you think. Here is a pictures of some used gears for sale for $500 shipped. they have 1 short course race on them, some are just used for testing or prerunning before a race. These guys spend tons on trophy trucks and its no big deal to replace a gear that only has a few miles on it.
1652152016799.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you. I think a set of used gears in a cheaper case would be an affordable spare case for me. I have no spare now , so it might get you through a race. If you broke it qualifying.

Thank you. I think a set of used gears in a cheaper case would be an affordable spare case for me. I have no spare now , so it might get you through a race. If you broke it qualifying.
It'd be nice to get 2 sets and do a front and rear.

You'll have to have a 3.812 case for the 45 spline rear, so the Strange Ultra case is your cheapest/best option, (plus then you'd have 2 identical rear diffs)

Latest posts