• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question for you concreters

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
I'm getting ready to pour an extention for the back patio. The new pour will be 20x13. I've never ordered stone before so I'm wondering how much I'll need at 4" thick and what size? I came up with 4.44 tons but for some reason that seems high. Also, is stone typically gotten by the ton or yards? I'll probably just pick it up with my trailer if that makes a difference. Thanks

ibrokeit said:
And for a patio, why aren't you just pouring straight on the dirt? Or do you need the stone for grade purposes?
I've only ever done basements and garages which have always been stoned in. I just figured thats the way all of it was done. For what it's worth, I'm in Pa so maybe the cold has something to do with it? Of course, I'll skip that if you don't think it's necessary.

57s are cheaper but I use #9s for everything. Much much easier to get on grade.

Edit... And they will compact much better than 57s. In my experience 57s will settle when 9s are 95% settled the first day.

Yeah reading that initially I was wondering if gravels were really needed in that application. I'd think that where you are doing the patio, you'd probably be scraping back and pouring onto ground that's not been messed with in a long time, aka already good and settled solid, meaning less need for gravel to compensate for anything under the concrete. Especially since it won't be supporting any heavy loads....unless yer gonna have some fat bitches over for a pig roast... :flipoff1:

There's actually brick pavers laid in right now. The plan was to pull up the brick, dig down 5" more, add 4" of stone and then 4" of crete with wire in it.

Beerj said:
There's actually brick pavers laid in right now. The plan was to pull up the brick, dig down 5" more, add 4" of stone and then 4" of crete with wire in it.

Are you doing all this by hand??

poolman said:
Are you doing all this by hand??
I was originally planning on it but then I realized I can rent a Dingo for a 1/2 day for $150. I'm working on pulling up the brick right now so as not to damage it. If there's enough, I'd like to build a kitchenette to hold the smoker and grill. I know where there's a pile of unwanted granite slabs 3'x6'x4" that are polished. Figured they'd make a nice top.

86chevota said:

I have never done that, but not to say it won't work but if your 4 inches off on one end of the pad you just raised your concrete coat by 50%

Plus I put in rebar and wire mesh. Maybe I'm a overkill.

poolman said:
I have never done that, but not to say it won't work but if your 4 inches off on one end of the pad you just raised your concrete coat by 50%

Plus I put in rebar and wire mesh. Maybe I'm a overkill.

IMHO it's still going to crack if it's going to crack? Most of the **** I've been getting Lately it's too hot. Doesn't matter who I buy from **** for brains mixing this stuff is horrible plus it's not what it used to be . Same with brick too