• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Question on tires

j-mox

Looking at getting a new set of tires for my Jeep. Last set I bought was from Sam's Club and have been fine but at the time it was mentioned that "club" tires were made from different compounds than those sold through most other tire outlets. I know at my own job that we make basically the same product, but there can be slight changes that conform to where it is being sold. So why not the same with tires?

Any input on this or has anyone else heard this before? Maybe it was just a rumor to not buy from club stores?

I've heard similar about sams club in relation to optima batteries. Hard to imagine they make a different product for one supplier, but it is possible, again, just doesn't seem probable.

Sams may get a import version of a USA made product though. Example being goodyear Duratrac. For some reason Goodyear manufactures some in the USA and some in Brazil.

money_pit_yj said:
I do know they make tires with same tread and not put a brand on it and sell them as black label tires. You wanting mud tars?

Looking at the BFG KM3's. I found a good deal on ebay for the set I really want which is the KM2's but with them being discontinued if I damaged a tire it would be hard to replace down the road. Plus Sam's has a no questions asked road hazard warranty.

I'm curious what set you bought from Sam's and how they did? If that set did well then that would make me feel better about the KM3's you found at Sam's.

The set I had bought was KM2's at the time I had heard there was a difference. It wasn't that I have been unhappy with them but it has made me wonder if there was a difference would it have been noticeable or not (mileage, traction, cut resistance) to justify going to an independent dealer this time.

The deal behind Sam's club and or any other big box store is this. They demand the supplier to deliver x amount of product for x amount of $$$. And the way a lot of suppliers deliver on this is produce a cheaper product. I know a particular TV going to Walmart are different than that presumably same TV going to Best buy. Could very well be the same case for tires.

Some of the big box store tires are offered in black sidewall only, no raised lettering, or the tread or lettering will be a bit simpler.

I'm assuming because they had to get extra molds made to meet volume and less intricate design = cheaper mold + less chance of cosmetic blem on finished product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts