• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ramjet 350 Timing Question

Trailabite

Anyone on here running a ramjet 350? Apparently these motors do not come with the typical timing tag. There's a V notch on the timing cover and a notch across the damper. According to the instructions for this motor you plug in this tool and start the motor and this sets the ignition timing and your suppose to use a timing light to adjust it to 10* BTDC. I'm not sure where that is without the timing tag. My guess is, since there's only 2 marks and this engine is set to run specifically at 10* I just need to line up the two marks, but I can't seem to find anything that confirms this. So I'm hoping someone on here has done this before.

Chances are the V and the dot are meant to line up. If that is not the case you are missing some parts or have the wrong timing cover? If you try to change the timing by moving the distributor the computer will try to compensate the opposite way.
Try this, warm the engine up, find a good vac. source in the intake, plug all vac. hoses you remove, hook a vac. gauge to this source. Fire up the engine again and using the idle screw or however your application sets idle, idle the engine till it almost stalls. OH, should have loosened the distributor already if it is very tight, remove and plug vac. advance lines, advance the dist. till you see gauge reading start to fall off, 15 to 20 in. lbs will be the rang you are looking for, and back it up to your highest reading and remove about 1 inch of vac. from there. Replace everything like you found it. If engine pings under power repeat and remove .5 inch at a time. NOTE engine cant be hunting all over the place, needs the smoothest, lowest idle you can get. Also if you can't get a steady vac. reading while turning the dist., that is the computer doing what it is designed to do, put the dot in the notch and rock out. Another note, I have never done this on a computer controlled engine but it is the best way to set base timing on a carbed. engine, I put this out there because if the vacuum gauge gives you a steady reading it will work I also am betting you will get the best reading close to where the dot and notch line up, GM probably didn't intend for you to monkey with it very much. RTR

Trailabite, I did some research on this, it seems the code reader tool has a "service mode". Once in service mode the computer should not try to compensate for your adjustments. I am not familiar with the tool but I am sure you have to save your new settings once done. If you can get the computer in this mode you can set the timing with the vacuum gauge and it will be accurate. Unless the tool has a digital readout for timing I can't figure out how you set it without a pointer. RTR

mna0121 said:
Trailabite, I did some research on this, it seems the code reader tool has a "service mode". Once in service mode the computer should not try to compensate for your adjustments. I am not familiar with the tool but I am sure you have to save your new settings once done. If you can get the computer in this mode you can set the timing with the vacuum gauge and it will be accurate. Unless the tool has a digital readout for timing I can't figure out how you set it without a pointer. RTR

I have the tool, but I don't recall if it shows the readout for the timing or not.

Trailabite said:
I have the tool, but I don't recall if it shows the readout for the timing or not.

Finally found some information - Just need to line the two marks up and it will be set at 10*. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Went out today and it seems that all is good, finally. I got some cleaner and a few rags to wipe off the damper and there is a white dot painted from the factory just under the v notch. I lined that dot up with the mark on the timing plate cover and the motor came alive. It made a noise that sounds just like when you come in from outside after mowing for an hour in 100 deg weather and you take that first drink from your ice cold beer! It just went aaaaaahhhhhhh.

That's awesome Chuck. Is this something that has happened since you got that from me or something that happened since? Just curious.

CHASMAN9 said:
That's awesome Chuck. Is this something that has happened since you got that from me or something that happened since? Just curious.

Nope, this is all on me lol. I removed the distributor when Installed the engine in my jeep and apparently I didn't get it back in the right place lol. That and for some reason I was under the impression that the ramjet's computer handled the timing, which it does, as long as you put it back at 10* BTDC.

Trailabite said:
Nope, this is all on me lol. I removed the distributor when Installed the engine in my jeep and apparently I didn't get it back in the right place lol. That and for some reason I was under the impression that the ramjet's computer handled the timing, which it does, as long as you put it back at 10* BTDC.

Got ya. Glad to see it getting back on the trail. That motor did run like a top, I just got the need for a few more ponies. :dblthumb: